Is anyone not using the Beer Recipe Calculator on this site?

EbonHawk

Trial Member
Reaction score
I have been brewing a long time, about 21 years. I've gone from that first Mr Beer Kit, as well as brewing a milk stout in a used milk jug, all the way up to a $1500 system involving stainless steel pots and kettles and multiple insulated coolers with brass and stainless fittings....

I stumbled upon the Beer Recipe Calculator here on this site a couple of years ago and have been using it ever since. I have made about 7 batches with it, from starting early on just to consult with it to check some things that I wasn't sure about, to like the last 2 or 3 batches using it from the very beginning to design recipes from the ground up.

I am amazed at how accurate it is. From final colors coming out right on target, to hitting target gravities to within a few hundredths of a point, to predicting how bitter a batch of beer will turn out. It sure takes the guesswork out of the whole process. I originally was hesitant to use it as I thought it might take all the fun out of brewing. Seems to take a lot of the headache out of the whole process, so I think that's a fair trade-off.

Have I just been lucky so far? Seems like so much can go wrong with this hobby that a computer program just couldn't reliably account for everything. Are others having success with it, pretty much all the time? Anything major that I should watch out for?

Re: Is anyone not using the Beer Recipe Calculator on this s

I learned with this site. I was just starting when I found it searching the web for brewing info. I struggled with it at first then found where I was not measuring correctly with water, hydrometer, temp's, etc. The software is very precise so small miscalculations can throw things way off. I still mess up but I can find my mistakes or differences with little trouble using this. The calculator shows you the way, so to speak. Your imagination still picks the way.

I just used it in designing my first ever brew. Though I had no experience brewing beer, I've had plenty of experience consuming beer and I know what I like so I felt fairly comfortable designing my own recipe. That said, it sure was handy to have this recipe calculator to see where things were going and I did adjust the numbers several time to hit the range I had in mind. It's still in fermentation yet so I don't know for sure how it will turn out and it didn't go without some hiccups either so I hopefully can only get better from here. Also some pretty cool tools like the checklist I didn't use that would possibly have reminded me to put in my whirlfoc, I'm a little cloudy. I have used it to put together my next brew, a blue moon clone for the wife. I'll brew that next Saturday if all goes well, I'll print and use the checklist.

Johow said:
Also some pretty cool tools like the checklist I didn't use that would possibly have reminded me to put in my whirlfoc, I'm a little cloudy. I have used it to put together my next brew, a blue moon clone for the wife. I'll brew that next Saturday if all goes well, I'll print and use the checklist.
Patience will clear a brew most of the time, I've learned. You can easily move on to the next step too soon, but beers and meads usually benefit from just waiting. It's pretty much the name of the game. You should be fine.

EbonHawk said:
Patience will clear a brew most of the time, I've learned. You can easily move on to the next step too soon, but beers and meads usually benefit from just waiting.

Yep, I've got beer in the frig so I'm good for the wait.....

I used a couple recipe programs but now I only use this one. Very good tool

I've been using it for three years now. about 3 dozen recipes. This is as good an app as it gets.

Back