"split" and decoction mash?

plutek

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
greetings!

wondering if there's a way of dealing with this mash scenario in Brewer's Friend...

basically, i'm doing a decoction mash, but there's a catch: the decoction portion isn't initially part of the main mash. while the main mash proceeds, i'll run a separate, smaller mash of wheat, oats and some malt for enzymes, all optimized to get the most conversion out of those grains. then i'll bring that mini mash to a boil, to get those grains cooked, and add it to the main mash to step up to the 2nd-stage temperature.

this is an idea from mosher's book "radical brewing", for a wit.

thanks in advance for any hints about the possibility of implementing this with Brewer's Friend!

cheers!
.pltk.

This is a great question and something that I hope another user will be able to answer.

you can add multiple mash procedures, theirs an add button at the bottom, just name it decoction, the key here is to make sure the water and mash procedures give you the correct readings when finished. so times and water amounts have to be correct and I would add the steps in the notes at the bottom of the recipe

Back