Galaxy Hops or Amarillo for aroma and flavor in my IPA?

bradentanner22

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Looking to brew my first own IPA recipe and I'm having a little trouble picking out the best hop for my beer. I have my IBU's in check but I'm really working for that flavor and aroma now. Would you suggest Galaxy Hops or Amarillo? And how much for how long should I dry hop it?

Ask two brewers, get three opinons.... There's no "best" hop, it's simply a question of what you want in your beer. I've used Amarillo and like it. I haven't used Galaxy. Furthermore, it depends on how you are using them in the brew. Galaxy sounds interesting, Amarillo is pretty tried-and-true in American-style IPAs. So, based on what flavors the hops produce at various points in the brewing process, the decision is pretty much up to you.

I prefer Amarillo, but like above depends on how your setting it up, most hops have a certain type of flavor herb or fruit or mint or grassy, the list goes on, you just don't want to mix one type with another

i use Amarillo and Citra in my pales. i enjoy that combination. i've heard some good things about Galaxy. I haven't used it yet, but i've got a recipe that calls for Galaxy i'm planning to use in the next month or so.

So Ozarks are you saying you wouldn't use Amarillo and Galaxy hops together in the dry hopping or in the same recipe at all??

I think those two hops would go well together.

And assuming you're doing 5 gallons, I'd hop with at least an oz and for about a week. Also, I use marbles to weight the bag down. They're easy to sanitize and it gives maximum beer-hops contact.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Galaxy is a great hop if you're going for a juicy fruit-forward hop profile. It's comparable to Mosaic in that regard. Load up on late additions and dry hop with it and you'll get a great tropical fruit profile.

I recently did a IPA with Nugget, Citra and Galaxy, the magic they made together were glorious.

Back