Expected first runnings

Brasserie Hecto

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if you folks could add the expected first running's in the recipe builder.

thinking out loud, shouldn't this equation be, (mash volume – (grain weight x grain absorption)) = first runnings volume, which will determine a sparge volume estimate.

Under almost all scenarios, the first runnings volume should be the same as the sparge volume. I'm not opposed to it for explicitness, and actually did so in my previous calculator that I made years ago before joining the BF team.

I don't think I was asking the right question. What I meant to ask was, have you thought about adding what the estimated first running's gravity could be to the recipe builder? I know this varies by mash thickness, grains, and the total strike water. The brewery I work uses this chart. This chat is the maximum first running's. Anyway, thanks for listening.

upload_2022-5-18_21-59-51.png

Ah gotcha, you're looking for the first runnings SG.

Yes, this is on the long term goals, but we need to finalize the overhaul to the mash guidelines sections, and will need to introduce a conversion efficiency in order to be able to predict with any sense of certain a first runnings gravity.

The math is known, and I worked through all of it with Braukaisers data and rederived it from first principles multiple times over the course of the past 10 years, but it does require a big change in mentality on how brewhouse efficiency works that is not always ease to adjust to.

It's not nearly as simple as that table from Kai appears to be, as the input variables are grain absorption, grain mass, PPG of the grain, infusion volume, mashtun losses, mash thickness, and conversion efficiency.

Ah gotcha, you're looking for the first runnings SG.

Yes, this is on the long term goals, but we need to finalize the overhaul to the mash guidelines sections, and will need to introduce a conversion efficiency in order to be able to predict with any sense of certain a first runnings gravity.

The math is known, and I worked through all of it with Braukaisers data and rederived it from first principles multiple times over the course of the past 10 years, but it does require a big change in mentality on how brewhouse efficiency works that is not always ease to adjust to.

It's not nearly as simple as that table from Kai appears to be, as the input variables are grain absorption, grain mass, PPG of the grain, infusion volume, mashtun losses, mash thickness, and conversion efficiency.
Wondering if any update on this. Is there a simple way to go from conversion efficiency to brewhouse efficiency? For example, if I change mash water volume for 20 to 10 liters, let say I see that conversion efficiency goes from 85% to 55%. How can I extrapolate from this to brewhouse efficiency? Do I simply subtract 30% from the default brew house efficiency of 70%?

I know the precise answer to my question is complicated, but I am just looking for approximate simple solution. At the least I guess what I'll try is to actually measure conversion efficiency and brew house efficiency, and see and afterwards use this practical information for the next brew session.

Last edited:

Back