Has anyone Pressure fermented a NEIPA?

Suga

Premium Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about pressure ferementing a NEIPA, as a way to avoid oxygen. Wondering if anyone has tried? If so how'd it turn out ?
I understand that the pressure suppresses the esters you want, and thinking about mitigating that by starting with no pressure for first 36hrs , then add dry hop and pressuring to 8-10 psi for remainder.
What do you think?

I have done several tests with different yeasts under pressure. If it is kept within the lower temperature limit throughout fermentation and the pressure is less than 0.8 bars you will practically not notice the decrease in esters.

The result is that it is more stabilized with less time

I have done several tests with different yeasts under pressure. If it is kept within the lower temperature limit throughout fermentation and the pressure is less than 0.8 bars you will practically not notice the decrease in esters.
What temp would you recommend?

Read the suggested temperature range for the yeast you will use, and stay in the lower range. Example: this yeast its range is 15-22C I use 17C and then at the end of fermentation 19C
D_NQ_NP_2X_763431-MLA32186499908_092019-F.png

yep I do two NEIPA under pressure, I have done one of them many many time not under pressure and I taste very little difference at all, but they differ slightly batch to batch. Similar to Viejos my temp is kept at 18C

If you trying to avoid oxygen, pressure fermentation can help, but you should consider the effects on the yeast. The pressure doesn’t effect the yeast directly, rather it increases dissolved co2. The co2 causes the yeast to behave differently and it has a tendency to reduce ester and high alcohol products. The yeast also grows at a slower rate. Not really the best type of environment for ales, ester products add to the flavor and character of the beer. The second thing to consider is dry hopping with a beer that’s carbonated, causing the dreaded hop volcano.

All you really need to do is to keep the fermenter completely closed and avoid any oxygen from fermenter to the glass. Easier said then done. You could ferment at lower pressure. I ferment lagers at 4-5psi at 48F. The esters are eliminated. If you keep the pressure at 2psi or so, you could keep the temperature at room temperature, keeping esters and avoid carbonating the beer before dry hopping.

The biggest risk to oxygen ingress is when you open the fermenter to dry hop or add clarifiers. The second is kegging. The first on can be accomplished by keeping a positive pressure on the fermenter by adding co2 when it’s open. This requires a way to inject and vent co2 at the same time. This is similar to what pro’s do and keeps a very slight positive in the fermenter The kegging problem is solved by closed transfers. All beers, not just NEIPA’s, benefit from these techniques.

Every fermentation method has a pro and disadvantages. In them whatever, the experience, having the necessary elements for this technique is the most important thing.
Learn from mistakes. Research the method, and practice it. Then improve it as it suits us. But always keep in mind that: Fermentation temperature. Yeast Class. Pressure: Hops. They are the parameters we choose and we can play. Getting certain results. But what should not be forgotten is what should not be done: allow oxygen to come into contact once fermentation has begun. The light . Hygiene. (vessels, hoses, connectors, all)

Back