Dry Hop Under pressure

Vallka

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So I have been using All-Rounders for almost a year now and brewing under pressure. One downfall so far is dry hopping, when i release pressure to hop the yeast/gunk blooms (for lack of better words) and I lose all the pressure.

I was thinking about using magnets to hold a small hop spider and just tip it over when the time is right.

How do you do it?

So I have been using All-Rounders for almost a year now and brewing under pressure. One downfall so far is dry hopping, when i release pressure to hop the yeast/gunk blooms (for lack of better words) and I lose all the pressure.

I was thinking about using magnets to hold a small hop spider and just tip it over when the time is right.

How do you do it?

Put a Magnet on the spider top (secured with stainless nut and bolt) and a magnet on the lid of the vessel . When you want to drop it. Pull the magnet off the top.

You could also just recharge the co2 if you have it.

I've heard other people recommending the magnet approach. There's also a ball valve, tee piece and soft drink bottle solution.

kl18074_-_pco_1881_x_pco_1881_ball_valve_-_close_up.jpg

They're also putting out another thing called a hop bong that looks like it needs the newer tri clover based lids to work.

How do you do it?
I gotta put this out there and it's risky.
But have you thought about adding your dry hop at yeast pitch.
I've done this a time or two but havnt brewed a beer back to back to see if there is any negatives.
This way no opening the fermentor.
A recent brulosophy experiment supported a negative impact on this.
https://brulosophy.com/2022/04/28/t...le-conditioned-american-pale-ale/#more-137502

If not I try an dry hop mid high krausen so some gravity is left to build pressure again.

Doesn't dry hopping beer under pressure create a volcano? Am I missing something?

Doesn't dry hopping beer under pressure create a volcano? Am I missing something?
Yes and no.
It's that nucleation point thing where throwing hop pallets into already carbonated beer causes it to foam up like crazy.
I've had this happen just a bit but nothing like you see on YouTube I'm not fermenting under as much pressure maybe.

I decrease pressure I introduce a bag with the hops as quickly as possible I close the keg. pressurized again but surely at higher pressure and temperature.

interesting. 2 things

1) not sure why he sanitizes the outside of it after he puts the top on :confused:

2) why put the hose in water after the spunding valve? you wont get suckback or air into the fermentor past the regulator.

I think just out of habit and good practices. The valve is one-way, and the keg has greater pressure than atmospheric pressure. With respect to water, it is due to a question of visual test of the amount of gas that comes out at each moment.

20220411_234341.jpg

The container on the keg contains water with alcohol and the spunding valve inside.

I had to manufacture a Spunding valve for two simultaneous kegs. really very sensitive and simple. With a faucet adding a spring on the valve

How do you do it?
Hi Vallka,
you have probably sorted this already but I just come across it and will add my 10 cents worth.
I have been using the allrounder for a couple of years now and dry hopping definitely not a downfall. I get good hoppy beers with great aroma. I do closed transfer into keg.
I set my pressure to 5-6psi once in the fermenter, that way when I dry hop I'm not letting out as much co2 when I open it up.
If I'm doing a double dry hop the first one is just on/after high Krasen and the second just before end of fermentation so that there is still co2 forming to pressure the fermenter up without adding from gas bottle. Following the last dry hop I tighten up the spunding valve a little and monitor it until it sits around 10psi ready to cold crash once done.
You can add co2 after dry hopping if you like but I don't see the need as it pressures up pretty quick once the hops go in unless you add after fermentation in which case you may have to add pressure.
hope this helps,
happy brewing, cheers.

interesting. 2 things

1) not sure why he sanitizes the outside of it after he puts the top on :confused:

2) why put the hose in water after the spunding valve? you wont get suckback or air into the fermentor past the regulator.
Only other thing I could think of is the blurp blurp blurp is a simple monitor for fermentation activity.
I routinely set a second keg to push my purge liquid into on fermentation but I still like to hear the gurgle as the co2 comes up through the liquid diptube.
I don't know I think it's just comforting the hear that sound music to a brewers ears no?:rolleyes:

Only other thing I could think of is the blurp blurp blurp is a simple monitor for fermentation activity.
I routinely set a second keg to push my purge liquid into on fermentation but I still like to hear the gurgle as the co2 comes up through the liquid diptube.
I don't know I think it's just comforting the hear that sound music to a brewers ears no?:rolleyes:
I'll buy that

Back