Grand child #3 Beer

The Brew Mentor

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I like to do a special or unique beer for each of my grandchildren.
Grandchild #3 is due the 1st week of May and I haven't started anything yet.

Our first was George and I made some changes to a Red IPA, and released it as HIPAPA . IPA in the middle, H on the front for Hi or welcome and PA at the end because I'm his Papa.
Annabelle was next. Born in July so I made an orange shandy and called it SunKissed.

The one due is a girl and that's all we have for now. All that I've come up with for a name is May Flower, but nothing unique for a beer style yet.
So ideas are welcome for a unique beer style that I can have ready to go in a month.
Thoughts?

I like to do a special or unique beer for each of my grandchildren.
Grandchild #3 is due the 1st week of May and I haven't started anything yet.

Our first was George and I made some changes to a Red IPA, and released it as HIPAPA . IPA in the middle, H on the front for Hi or welcome and PA at the end because I'm his Papa.
Annabelle was next. Born in July so I made an orange shandy and called it SunKissed.

The one due is a girl and that's all we have for now. All that I've come up with for a name is May Flower, but nothing unique for a beer style yet.
So ideas are welcome for a unique beer style that I can have ready to go in a month.
Thoughts?
Seltzer?
Or why not a nice crushable Wheat bier ment to be drunk quick and celebrated ;).

Thinking saison
A grisette could be nice? The commercial example I drank used a wild fermentation blend for theirs instead of just saison yeast, so I don't know if you have the time for the lacto and brett to work their magic. But maybe a more mild French saison yeast vs a super spicy Belgian strain? A crushable early summer beer. Maybe with some chamomile or hibiscus to play on words with Mayflower?

I'm remembering a conversation I had with the brewer of the grisette that I liked and trying to mimic the yeast/bacteria blend that they used. He said a kettle soured wort fermented with a farmhouse kveik could get real close to the flavor profile. That could ferment very quickly once you finish the kettle sour

Well I decided and today I'll brew it
Belgian Ale/ saison.
Pilsner , Wheat, Munich, cane sugar.
Hallertau.
6.5%
28 IBU
3 volumes
Belle saison, BE 134, T 58 yeast blend.
Dosed with Hibiscus flowers @190° for 10 minute stand, then chill.
Target is a dry saison with a bit more esters, but just enough to compliment the Hibiscus flowers.
I should get this touch of additional esters from the T-58, even though it's only 1/6th of my pitch .
The Hibiscus stand will add additional tartness and light cranberry undertones.
It will also add a beautiful crimson color.
It will pour light red with a big white standing head.
Cheers

Last edited:
IMG_20220409_105303948.jpg
IMG_20220409_105255374.jpg

This is tea made from the hibiscus leaves.
I'm targeting this color or a little lighter.
Interesting, I get almost a current tartness in it.
Should be interesting

This is tea made from the hibiscus leaves.
I'm targeting this color or a little lighter.
Interesting, I get almost a current tartness in it.
Should be interesting

Even though I'm not much for tarty beers, I do like current jam/jelly....so maybe I'll look into this one. One question is, where do you get hibiscus flowers in Ohio this time of year?

Oh and CONGRATULATIONS on grandchild #3!

Even though I'm not much for tarty beers, I do like current jam/jelly....so maybe I'll look into this one. One question is, where do you get hibiscus flowers in Ohio this time of year?

Oh and CONGRATULATIONS on grandchild #3!
Amazon!
Organic Hibiscus leaves
1# for $14

OG 1.055
FG 1.008
6.3% abv
28 IBU
Gravity sample from the nose cone.
Should clear nicely and serve pink with a full white head.
Now, if my daughter can just hold off till May! Haha

Attachments

• IMG_20220422_121322490.jpg
    IMG_20220422_121322490.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20220422_121329128.jpg
    IMG_20220422_121329128.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Well, it'll be either today naturally, or tomorrow morning she gets induced.
The beer is ready, although not clear.
I didn't think about the hibiscus flowers adding pectins and since it's kegged already, it is what it is.
I'm 1/2 tempted to add pectic enzymes to the keg, but getting it into a sanke keg is problematic.
I'm not even sure how I'd go about that.
I'll get a picture today at the shop and post it.
Cheers!
Brian

Well, it'll be either today naturally, or tomorrow morning she gets induced.
The beer is ready, although not clear.
I didn't think about the hibiscus flowers adding pectins and since it's kegged already, it is what it is.
I'm 1/2 tempted to add pectic enzymes to the keg, but getting it into a sanke keg is problematic.
I'm not even sure how I'd go about that.
I'll get a picture today at the shop and post it.
Cheers!
Brian
That looks great!
And she held off till May like you asked!
So adding hibiscus flowers to any beer should give it the pink/reddish color? Would like to try this with a hazy PA.

That looks great!
And she held off till May like you asked!
So adding hibiscus flowers to any beer should give it the pink/reddish color? Would like to try this with a hazy PA.
It'll definitely add color!

Back