When Phosphoric Acid <> Phosphoric Acid

Balrog

Premium Member
Reaction score
Howdy, long time no issue with anything, love it all, thanks for all the great work.
Recently, I copied and edited a recipe, created a new water profile to use the water calculator, made my edits there and updated the recipe.

The thing is, the pH in the water calculator where I can set that I use 30% Phosphoric acid, predicts 5.35pH and when copied back to the recipe where "phosphoric acid" is listed in the ingredients, the ph is predicted at 5.52.

I have to imagine the recipe editor when selecting phosphoric is using 10% perhaps while I can set 30% in the water calculator. This has never been a problem before -- if I set 30% in water calc, updated recipe, ph in recipe would match the cater calc ph.

Recipe is this: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/edit/1262615
Water calc is this: https://www.brewersfriend.com/mash-chemistry-and-brewing-water-calculator/?id=3JMQXF9

And I further note that every time I go back into that water calc it bumps phosphoric acid to 10% even tho I enter 30% and save/update.

Thanks
Joseph

Yeah this is one for the tech man @Pricelessbrewing.

I find sometimes scrolling from recipe screen to water calc screen the pressing the update recipe button in the water profile section on recipie page can sometimes result in anomalies.

I've deleted all the "other ingredients " list eg
Screenshot_20220422-060041_Samsung Internet.jpg

Calcium Chloride
CALCIUM SULPHATE
and phosphoric Acid
Then saved recipe then
Clicked the "link recipie" in the water calc section.
Then update your salts and acids.
Press save
Then go back to recipie
Then click update recipie
This might work.

Screenshot_20220422-060054_Samsung Internet.jpg

Maybe clicking that remove link first then deleating other ingredience then re doing the water calcs and linking back to recipie might help.

I use 96%phsophoric so I have to adjust the percentage as well.

Well, deleting all OTHER INGREDIENTS and the water profile and creating a new water profile and adding CaCL, CaSO4 and PhosAcid back in eventually did indeed work @Trialben , but it was a odd mishmash of updating recipe not getting water calc additions, having to add CaCl and CaSO4 in the recipe then the water calc update recipe would update the QTY, and it DID put in 30% Phosphoric to the recipe because the pH matches, but flipping back into water calc does always seem to reset phosphoric to 10% default.

Anyway, it's a workaround. Thanks.

Well, deleting all OTHER INGREDIENTS and the water profile and creating a new water profile and adding CaCL, CaSO4 and PhosAcid back in eventually did indeed work @Trialben , but it was a odd mishmash of updating recipe not getting water calc additions, having to add CaCl and CaSO4 in the recipe then the water calc update recipe would update the QTY, and it DID put in 30% Phosphoric to the recipe because the pH matches, but flipping back into water calc does always seem to reset phosphoric to 10% default.

Anyway, it's a workaround. Thanks.
Glad to hear.
Yeah I've had double additions of brewing salts before and found deleating the other ingredients deleating the water calc link then starting again resets the changes made.

We hear you and we're planning to work on it as soon as we have some higher priority issues resolved. We just (finally) added the concentration as an ingredient property for other ingredients to get this ready, and it's added into the mobile app that's still in development, but the web will need some updating to get that working correctly.

Thank you for continuing to submit feedback!

We hear you and we're planning to work on it as soon as we have some higher priority issues resolved. We just (finally) added the concentration as an ingredient property for other ingredients to get this ready, and it's added into the mobile app that's still in development, but the web will need some updating to get that working correctly.

Thank you for continuing to submit feedback!
You know it would maybe be cool to integrate your Phsophoric/Lactic acid % into yoyr equipment profile so when in water calc it automatically keeps the % as your profile.

I don't mine either way.
Just like your set batch size in the equipment profile and BH efficiency...

You know it would maybe be cool to integrate your Phsophoric/Lactic acid % into yoyr equipment profile so when in water calc it automatically keeps the % as your profile.

I don't mine either way.
Just like your set batch size in the equipment profile and BH efficiency...
It's actually part of the ingredient properties, so anytime you use that ingredient from your inventory it will bring the concentration over with it. Also, if you have multiple concentrations or brands for whatever reason you can choose.

upload_2022-4-23_15-45-37.png

It's actually part of the ingredient properties, so anytime you use that ingredient from your inventory it will bring the concentration over with it. Also, if you have multiple concentrations or brands for whatever reason you can choose.

View attachment 20388
Well there ya go I've not added it to my inventory :).

So by doing this it will automatically use my phsophoric Acid % when in the water calculator section?
Cool

Well there ya go I've not added it to my inventory :).

So by doing this it will automatically use my phsophoric Acid % when in the water calculator section?
Cool
It will, soon but the water chemistry hasn't been updated yet but it will!

Interesting. I was getting frustrated with my 85% phosphoric getting clocked back to 10% every time I reopened a water calculation. Another problem I have when reopening is that my sparge water often comes up as "0".

Back