Oud Bruin

jmcnamara

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
how the heck do you pronounce this?

I've heard it said "odd brewin" which sounds like a very...American way of saying it.

I've read it's pronounced like "owd brehn" (owd as in "oww that hurts" but with a d). i like this one better, since it sounds more old or middle english.

any help?

Oud Bruin is modern day dutch for old brown so according to google translate it sounds a bit like 'owdt browwwnn' or you can see yourself just google translate old brown into dutch and click on the speaker button for a recording. =

interesting, I thought it was more archaic than that. never even popped into my head to use google translate. and I didn't even know it was dutch, so double learning!

i swear, google is the beginning of SkyNet

thanks for the quick response

It is Flemish from Belgium but Flemish is pretty much Dutch. Another name for the style is Flanders Brown, Flanders being the English name for the Dutch speaking region of Belgium.

Just had a chance to listen to it. Spot on with the t sound at the end of oud. Sounds like they roll the r a bit, like Spanish does.
I knew Flanders Red /Brown were either alternate names or slightly different styles. My obvious lack of the finer details of European history and geography made me think Flanders was from france.
Maybe because in my addled brain I associate that sour taste as closer to wine than beer

Haha. Yeah, as an Australian living in Europe, the complex geo-political-linguistic history here has been something I have had to take a crash course in. Don´t even start with the Basque country!

Basquebrewing said:
Don´t even start with the Basque country!
Isn't that where they aren't happy about being part of Spain!?

Back