Inventory deducted inconsistent with items used on "Brew!" link

OkanaganMike

Trial Member
Reaction score
Here's another screwy thing as of late. The inventory being deducted on brew day is not the same ingredients as the recipe. Not sure if this screen shot will show it but it is removing aromatic malt in place of acidulated, pale malt in place of rye and ESB malt in place of wheat.
upload_2022-3-23_9-25-25.png

As @AHarper said on a thread of mine, check to see that you have the inventory item selected on your recipe. It is possible that for instance; you have an acidulated malt in the recipe builder drop down list and another acidulated malt in the list with your inventory amount. If you select the common one rather than the one with the inventory amount it wont deduct.
I don't know why it would select something else though. I've seen that too. Screwy things are happening with the inventory for sure.

Thanks WesBrew. Yeah I've experienced that in the past too, blamed the software and then realised it was dipstick holding the mouse lol. I can figure some of these things out but when the system goes squirrly for no reason when it was working fine, it make me pull my hair out in frustration. That and now I wonder how out of whack my inventory is since I normally only look at the qtys and not the actual item across the board to ensure correct amount is in stock to brew and being adjusted out. I really value the inventory factor of this program.

Thanks WesBrew. Yeah I've experienced that in the past too, blamed the software and then realised it was dipstick holding the mouse lol. I can figure some of these things out but when the system goes squirrly for no reason when it was working fine, it make me pull my hair out in frustration. That and now I wonder how out of whack my inventory is since I normally only look at the qtys and not the actual item across the board to ensure correct amount is in stock to brew and being adjusted out. I really value the inventory factor of this program.
I hear you, and we do as well! I know how important this feature is to users.

I'm planning on spending some time this weekend to investigate and will reach back out here when/if the issue is identified and as any updates occur on testing and release.

Thank you again for continuing to reach out and providing feedback. Without feedback like yours, we would not be able to continue to improve.

I hear you, and we do as well! I know how important this feature is to users.

I'm planning on spending some time this weekend to investigate and will reach back out here when/if the issue is identified and as any updates occur on testing and release.

Thank you again for continuing to reach out and providing feedback. Without feedback like yours, we would not be able to continue to improve.
Big hint on the problem (possibly)! I just realized that issue is with inventory items in which you don't have stock in. I purchased a pound of Acidulated malt, updated my inventory and went to the brew link. This time it grabbed Acidulated malt (now in stock) vs trying to switch it to Aromatic. While the Rye and Wheat are physically in stock, I don't have them entered as such so the system is trying to swap them out with Pale and ESB.
Went back in added a value into the Rye inventory, Brew again and it grabbed the correct item.
Hope this helps fix the problem.

Big hint on the problem (possibly)! I just realized that issue is with inventory items in which you don't have stock in. I purchased a pound of Acidulated malt, updated my inventory and went to the brew link. This time it grabbed Acidulated malt (now in stock) vs trying to switch it to Aromatic. While the Rye and Wheat are physically in stock, I don't have them entered as such so the system is trying to swap them out with Pale and ESB.
Went back in added a value into the Rye inventory, Brew again and it grabbed the correct item.
Hope this helps fix the problem.
Ah that does make more since then.

Some time ago, the inventory deduction logic was changed. I think it was this update - https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/july-updates.14925/#post-143380

The general step in logic is that a match is search for in this order, always looking for the closest match that has an active positive inventory qty.

1) Exact name match, exact property match.
2) Similar name match, exact property match (looking at grain type, color, ppg, diastic power, and brand).
3) Similar name match, similar properties.

Since you brewed a recipe, but had no acidulated malt in stock, there was no match found from your active inventory, so the deduction looked for the next closest match and found aromatic being the most similar. When you deduct, it should show this, and allow you to either cancel the inventory deduction, or choose from a dropdown menu of what else you have available.

Back