Have patience I'm new..

Gunkleneil

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello. getting ready to bottle my first beer this weekend. It was a red ale extract kit.Took a gravity reading today it's at 1.010. It has been sitting in secondary per my LHBS instructions for almost 2 weeks after fermenting for 10 days. SG was 1.050 and it was at 1.015 for 2 days with no visible bubbles when I transfered to the secondary. I know Secondary is a Potent topic right now that I have been reading about, and that's not why I'm here right now. Just giving all info. I did it to follow the instructions given by my LHBS for my first beer so please no secondary lectures.... On to my questions.

1 Is the slight drop of 0.005 over 11 days still considered to be "done fermenting" or do I need to wait longer before bottling?

2 I think it is fine but thought I would ask. I figure the larger pieces in this picture are grains. But what are the little white ones? It smells good and tastes good for a non-carbonated beer (been tasting each time I take a gravity reading to get an idea of how it changes). I don't see anything that makes me think there is a problem but being its my first batch I would rather be that guy with the picture to be safe. Thanks.
PXL_20220317_231626407.jpg
UZ0HD8pNg2F1ac1cvdeulxkkA-sAZ3WYpizZwWJxJG2j0i9X9n3trfleCFf-pDjfMXiwWePfAfjNTZZbW_R4sWKuizOoz1zYcGTBUlwyJB68QZm3ryhoHIB5Y6VxQKWWXfAwkCAimRZuBP_kg3FPTf5D5Oms_1MQDBuhRb2Y_-U5Y2HxzMC66uQFUdkfonM6gJSrBQGBh6lMn0UHxgxmiYaPwqMez2qqYrNtQ-9A3OkVA2KE3iNKUENbqT32LqVSfFciei2JdfUYQhsNVwTjXa3OLBsMIGxtPR4VZbcPzYxRT5IoRGPKY05ltSZFVXogY2pP-6YBHCnSsylXd6bRrG312X2RJLKI2Z7BWAJCqe4WswEODz3DunzFoDa2nWkBDdH1syZ8kpCEAjflY1gbs7F8s6FzW7_yST9l0Uox_ahvl1C5UZs5cuCu3uyaS0S6A0XgEyAoXIfdlMcro0YDM0jO_h6jmqrkTm-lwOrKwu1rGQQaEoDcxJFTnkRcBZdPqYWJ-s94EnsvsGOFSUvE2u-B9M5nzr-SA1i0o2B_-N05Yf6O0PpT4GVNqHbUWM4wvT9kMMVlpLK1ApyFijwW7dlCnSNGBtrsTdnWV0miCqjxDm2chvrhxGvuOo5XRkjxU-zK7gMtG-78OVnj2ZZ56c_Hap8OVRxN5FcNCTS34I4Olk8cWXdlvZIFAFK3Av2v-GHzQxY8J7-PjTqIZTbxHImdORMZOIdDrwcYzwzHdspc_7-Zvzhs-B2t4cUYwxzpoDs3YdSFTQdNCz2VggoOpSOxCws3lyD8HmstHt0iyClo9lXS9J5q4bbHZpv1gaNX5z9STTOvWPxcmVHSkHn16IGH0dPF4Z--JCdheOjP7Arg-XKu1XrYi8lfaCku8_fa_3Ju2iBl38x9cgO0Z-WCSOo5EyDmcobX0KJXLZ1nC4jqulF81yjGUAqmHjcmhCapgo8zZDay7D93-nrZ8tfDT-o=w1263-h947-no

Last edited:
Yeah, you're ready for bottling. The picture didn't come through so try posting that again.

While most brewers will tell you they don't secondary, simply because it's not necessary, I don't think many would lecture you on it. The risks are minimal. Proper sanitation will all but eliminate the infection risk. Oxidation is something you want to minimize (gentle transfers, no spashing) but it won't ruin you beer. So, don't apologize and secondary if you wish. Remember it's your beer not ours. Most of us are just putting in our 2¢.

As long as your temps were in the yeast's range, 3.5 weeks of fermentation is plenty. I usually ferment for 3 weeks and bottle. I take a gravity reading on bottling day. As long as the FG is about where I expect it, I'm good.

The bubbles in your picture look normal. Probably just CO2. Smelling and tasting good are the best proof you don't have an infection.

@BarbarianBrewer thanks. On another forum I got jumped on a bit by someone attacking my LHBS for instructing me to secondary. I'm still looking into it and not sure what I'll do going forward. I figured the beer was ok good to get another opinion. Can't wait to bottle this weekend and drink in a few weeks.

@BarbarianBrewer thanks. On another forum I got jumped on a bit by someone attacking my LHBS for instructing me to secondary. I'm still looking into it and not sure what I'll do going forward. I figured the beer was ok good to get another opinion. Can't wait to bottle this weekend and drink in a few weeks.

In the beginning I think it's best to follow all the advice your LHBS is giving you. And follow recipe instructions exactly (if possible). Then as you gain experience, you'll start to know what works and doesn't work for you and your system. Then, step by step, you can start doing things your own way.

You are getting some good advice here!
Bet you are looking forward to tasting your first brew :D

How are you going to bottle?
I would suggest to do at least one PET bottle so you can follow carbonisation (by squeezing the bottle).

By the way: I can't see the picture

If anything, I'd say you are taking more chances with your beer by continuing to open it up for samples.
The beer is finished and ready to bottle. Bottle it up!
It looks like you're off to a great start and in a week or two you'll have the beer ready to drink.
The directions from your local shop are a great starting point and it's great that you have someone to ask questions in person.
The group here is very friendly and helpful, so feel free to ask questions without getting blasted.
Cheers,
Brian

Yeah, what they ^^ said. Opening up your beer is an infection risk, try to minimize that in the future.

Your beer is ready for bottling, go for it! The floating bits look normal to me.

2 weeks is a reasonable time. I usually go about 10-12 days for an ale so about the same. 10 weeks might be 'too long' for many beers.

You might consider getting John Palmer's book How To Brew. He explains things in great detail but with a comfortable writing style and it will serve as a good reference for years to come.

Not a lecture, but one time try it without a secondary transfer, you might be surprised that the beer turns out the same without that extra effort. For now, I agree with your LHBS, as they have an interest in your first beer turning out great.

Oh, and welcome to the hobby! Even after many years, there is always something new to learn, and so ALL of us have tremendous patience! OK, most of us...:rolleyes:

Welcome to the hobby. I'm still new and only done 53 batches and remember starting and questioning everything I was doing. Best thing I did was get a BRIX Refractometer, and drilled and put spigots in my buckets so I could pull samples without adding O2 and use less brew to get readings. After leaky bucket tops got my last nerve, I moved on to big mouth fermenters so I would know when bubbling stopped or slowed down. Adding dry hops was a lot easier, too. Keep those buckets for bottling.

How are you going to bottle?
I would suggest to do at least one PET bottle so you can follow carbonisation (by squeezing the bottle).

Plus 1 there. I use one of those itty bitty water bottles with the screw on kids the out that bottle in a plastic bag so if it blows off the lid, I don't have a mess in my conditioner box.

The only other the bit of advice I would pass along is sanitation. "Cleaning is what you do when you're not brewing"..... Words to live by.

Welcome to Brewers Friend, and welcome to a great hobby.
Get that sucker into bottles like others have said.
No one here will "lecture" you about anything, there are a lot of really fine folks here that want nothing more than to help you succeed!
I won't tell you that in 4 years of brewing that I have never done a transfer to a secondary fermenter. Oh snap, I kind of just did!

Please feel free to ask any and all questions, we are all quite pleased to share our knowledge and experience!
Before you know it you will be sharing your knowledge and experience:D

Plus 1 there. I use one of those itty bitty water bottles with the screw on kids the out that bottle in a plastic bag so if it blows off the lid, I don't have a mess in my conditioner box.

The only other the bit of advice I would pass along is sanitation. "Cleaning is what you do when you're not brewing"..... Words to live by.

I was planning to put the bottles in a plastic tote with the lid of the tote sitting on top not snapped on so if anything goes wrong this first time it should be contained. Not sure I get the point of the plastic bottle. Is this so you see the bubbles from the carbonation? If it blows the lid on the plastic bottle won't the glass ones go too?

I was planning to put the bottles in a plastic tote with the lid of the tote sitting on top not snapped on so if anything goes wrong this first time it should be contained. Not sure I get the point of the plastic bottle. Is this so you see the bubbles from the carbonation? If it blows the lid on the plastic bottle won't the glass ones go too?
You can feel the carbonation level by giving it a squeeze.

Good idea with the tote. Remember to keep them at ~70° for the first week.
Then you can feel how firm the plastic bottle is to determine if it's carbonated or not.
It should be nice and firm.
Then pop some or all in the fridge for a week or so.
Good luck, you made beer!
Cheers,
Brian

Thanks for clarifying that. It just wasn't clicking in my head. We have a room dedicated to our reptile collection that we maintain at 70F I fermented the beer in the corner of this room. I'll put it back there once bottled for a week then check.

Back