English malts

e_satt

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm wanting to know more about English base malts from people that have brewed with them. Have used Maris Otter before and I like it but with halcyon, optic, pearl, and golden promise what are they like? I'm looking to buy a bulk sack of something nice for Christmas and any input would be appreciated.

I love Golden Promise - makes great IPAs. If you want to experiment with a SMASH brew, I'd recommend it as a base.

I used Pearl once, but it was more by accident. There was so much other stuff going on in that beer, there's no way I would've been able to pick that out though.

This site seemed interesting: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/English-Bas ... rison.html

I agree with Nosy on the SMaSHes. I recently did a side by side comparison with 2or6 row, munich, and vienna. Conceptually, I knew there was a difference between them and sort of what it was, but tasting / smelling them like that was a real eye opener. same thing goes for hops and yeast choices.

yes golden promise is my all time favorite base grain if I could afford it I would use it in every beer, its $20 a bag higher here locally

Thanks I think I'm gonna get enough to do a SMASH with some Maris and then Optic using fuggles as a start.

I'm interested in the aromatic description of Optic.

Back