What does the Brewersfriend Device Map describe ?

Meaulnes

Trial Member
Reaction score
What does the Brewersfriend Device Map describe?
My question may be stupid, but I’ll ask it anyway, just so I don’t stay stupid.
I looked at the Device Map but I do not understand what it describes. There are color dots with numbers but no legend. Did I miss something?

It's a fair question because there is no key explaining what the data is .... maybe subscribers? Or live brew days?

I'd say it's bound to be members/subscribers.

I'm sure it's brewersfriend users where they live type thing.

It's people like me logging brew data via one of their net connected devices (Tilt for me). Most of these devices include longitude and latitude in the data they send. The people here decided to create a map showing where people are currently submitting brew data. I assume currently. It could be over a longer period of time.

Where the location data is grabbed from I'm not sure. There's nothing at my actual location, but 4-5 brews occurring within less than a kilometre from my house. Probably some IP location based on ISP node locations.

I do like how there's two brews being logged from one of the new underground stations that's being built in the middle of town here in Melbourne.

It's people like me logging brew data via one of their net connected devices (Tilt for me). Most of these devices include longitude and latitude in the data they send. The people here decided to create a map showing where people are currently submitting brew data. I assume currently. It could be over a longer period of time.

Where the location data is grabbed from I'm not sure. There's nothing at my actual location, but 4-5 brews occurring within less than a kilometre from my house. Probably some IP location based on ISP node locations.

I do like how there's two brews being logged from one of the new underground stations that's being built in the middle of town here in Melbourne.
Brewing and working man now that's the life:)

Thank you guys for your answers. What I can say is that it is not Brewersfriend subscribers as I do not appear on the map. Devices that logs brew data is more plausible. But as there is no integration for my device( Brewbrain's Float) at the moment I do not appear as well. May I suggest to people in charge of this map to add a legend. It will help.

Wow were we told at any point that our location is being mapped and displayed when we use an integrated device? That's kinda shitty. Did I miss some fine print somewhere? Can I opt out?

@Yooper @Pricelessbrewing

Can I opt out?
Don't use Tilt or other "smart" devices. :) It's likely that any app you use from your cell phone that's getting signal/information from any device (home thermostat, kitchen devices, garage door) are mining your location data.

Don't use Tilt or other "smart" devices. :) It's likely that any app you use from your cell phone that's getting signal/information from any device (home thermostat, kitchen devices, garage door) are mining your location data.
Yes, technology do be like that. Mining location is one thing, displaying it without consent is another. Again, just curious if there was fine print I missed somewhere in the integrative device process.

Tho I guess I don't need to worry about accuracy; according to the map someone is brewing in the middle of the James River :D

Back