DME has hardened in bag.

SabreSteve

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I haven't brewed in several months cause life has been crazy. Packing my stuff up cause we're getting ready to move next month (going to be in my parents house for a bit:confused:). So I have a bag of light DME that I bought for building starters. It's probably about a year old. Only about enough for 1 starter left. I wrapped it up and then put it inside a ziplock bag but somehow air/moisture got it and it's hardened. Similar to what you might see with sugar. Instinct says to toss it but money is tight. If I'm only using it for a starter do I just keep it and use it anyways?

I would. It should still dissolve in water. Next time if you are only using DME for starters have you seen the canned wort you can buy now? Something to think about anyway. But ya I have always had that problem with DME - it must draw in moisture and then dry very hard. I try to only buy what I think I will use now, and I may try to use my food saver to remove air from the bag if I need to store it for a bit.

I would. It should still dissolve in water. Next time if you are only using DME for starters have you seen the canned wort you can buy now? Something to think about anyway. But ya I have always had that problem with DME - it must draw in moisture and then dry very hard. I try to only buy what I think I will use now, and I may try to use my food saver to remove air from the bag if I need to store it for a bit.
Part of the reason I choose DME over LME is the shelf life. Just was disappointed to see it hardened

This! Used to use DME, now I use those cans of wort starter. So easy, already sterile and has yeast food in it.

Nothing wrong with it, if it were dried out and pulverized it'd look normal again.
Keep it and dissolve it when needed.

It's perfectly fine.
Plus you'll be adding it to boiling water, so even if it picked something up, that will kill it.
Brew on!

Just put it in a bag and smash it on something hard, it'll loosen up.

Back