Temperature Probe location.

Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
OK, so my mash tun is an old brew pot wrapped in 1" of refletix on the sides with an 800 watt silicone heating element on the bottom. Mash is recirculated constantly and temp control is an Inkbird 306. Probe just shorted, will need to replace it. Previously I've had it directly in the mash, wondering if I would be better off inserting it between the tun and the insulation.

Definitely in the mash - too much differential and lag if it's measuring the temp of the vessel itself. Preferably 2 probes - one down in the grain bed and one up in the mash liquor.

Definitely in the mash - too much differential and lag if it's measuring the temp of the vessel itself. Preferably 2 probes - one down in the grain bed and one up in the mash liquor.
My 306 only has 1 probe available, think you're right about it working better in the mash, probably just need to keep an extra probe on hand in case it faults out again., The replacement ones have a plug in connecter in line anyway.

To my knowledge the probes are not supposed to be immersed. you should definitely use a thermowell.
Something like this would work.
upload_2022-2-17_11-53-36.png

I use one of these, with the probe stirred in to the mash as I mix it all up then it ends up suspended in the middle of the bin I use as a mash tun. It only costs about $4 so I have a few spares. No need for a thermowell.

upload_2022-2-17_19-6-9.png

I use one of these, with the probe stirred in to the mash as I mix it all up then it ends up suspended in the middle of the bin I use as a mash tun. It only costs about $4 so I have a few spares. No need for a thermowell.

View attachment 19426
I have a couple of those, used them before I converted to a heated tun.(although USUALLY the heater barely runs).

think you're right about it working better in the mash
Well, what is it you want to control the temperature of?

I vote for controlling mash temps. For that, the probe goes in the mash.

There are many ways to waterproof (mashproof?) a temp probe.

I've got a 2" thermowell bulkead down the bottom of the kettle close to the kettle outlet I notice a 2c difference between that probe and one in the centre at top of kettle.

View attachment 19426
You get these on ebay Alan?
Any linky linkys pls

You get these on ebay Alan?
Any linky linkys pls

I can't remember exactly where I got them but I found this on Amazon. You may have a similar adverts in your area.
These are the same as the ones I have.

Thlevel 4x Digital LCD Thermometer Temperature Monitor with External Probe for Fridge Freezer Refrigerator Aquarium (2x Black 2x White)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thlevel-Thermometer-Temperature-External-Refrigerator/dp/B07ZN3QTBV/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2PZDZSOBS2R12&keywords=thermometer+lcd&qid=1645146702&sprefix=thermometer+lcd,aps,140&sr=8-1

and in OZ ebay:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/324022649957?hash=item4b71414465:g:jjcAAOSwD5teApUX

Last edited:
I can't remember exactly where I got them but I found this on Amazon. You may have a similar adverts in your area.
These are the same as the ones I have.

Thlevel 4x Digital LCD Thermometer Temperature Monitor with External Probe for Fridge Freezer Refrigerator Aquarium (2x Black 2x White)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thlevel-Thermometer-Temperature-External-Refrigerator/dp/B07ZN3QTBV/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2PZDZSOBS2R12&keywords=thermometer+lcd&qid=1645146702&sprefix=thermometer+lcd,aps,140&sr=8-1

and in OZ ebay:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/324022649957?hash=item4b71414465:g:jjcAAOSwD5teApUX
Cheers I'll pop one of these in my glycol resivour to keep an eye on its temp.

If you are recirculating the wort, you can get a good measurement from the skin of the vessel. There are a few things you need to make this work:
1. A non-insulated vessel with reasonably good heat transfer coefficient. The converted brew pot should work fine.
2. Sufficient insulation. This is needed to prevent external ambient air temperature from affecting the reading. Note that a 6"x6" piece of closed cell foam will work well.
3. Placement of the probe in a location that has moving fluid on the other side of the vessel from the probe.

While the thermowell is a standard practice, industry is starting to use more surface mount measurements. The advantages are less cost, no leakage, and less contamination. And accuracies are within 0.1 C with proper installation.

This might be something to consider for your setup.

Back