Dark Mild.

GFHomebrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
This sounds like a tasty session beer to me.
It seems the style has gone out of vogue from what I've read on the search. This beer being so light in ABV and Hops means it doesn't really travel well.
Being a Hombrewer means we can makes tasting this beer happen well it won't be served on cask but near enough with a few tweeks.

Coming from strong Anglo-Saxon/Celtic stock it's sorta makes me wonder why I've not brewed more UK origin beers.
I expect that in part to do with the strong German and American brewing influences And living in Australia where the English beer styles are pretty much non-existent in standard Aussie pubs.

Here's my draft version
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1247885/my-mild

What do you think?
Cheers

I like the idea of the molasses! what color do you use?

I like the idea of the molasses! what color do you use?
Now that depends on what I buy I'll get some from the store next time I'm shopping.
Reading the BJCP I read something about dark sugars in the beer so my mind went molasses.
It'll be either that or treacle...

Anyone brewed a Dark Mild before?
Strong mild I read can be 6%.

Now that depends on what I buy I'll get some from the store next time I'm shopping.
Reading the BJCP I read something about dark sugars in the beer so my mind went molasses.
It'll be either that or treacle...
I am thinking treacle! the sulfur content might really be interesting.

I am thinking treacle! the sulfur content might really be interesting.
You know I've been having dates with my porridge for breakky lately and thought heck some of that flavour in a dark beer would be wonderful i wonder if you cut them up and added to the boil if it'd extract much of that rich fruit flavour?

Thinking I might do two runs of this mild style and maybe aim at throwing some dates in the boil on V2.

Just for comparison purposes, here is David Heath's discussion on Dark Mild along with his tried and true recipe. I like the way that he present styles with possible percentages of various grains along with options before he shows you his favorite.

I'm curious how that much molasses would be like in the finished beer. Make sure to use unsulphured molasses.

I would be a bit concerned that any sugar addition will dry out the beer and remove/diminish it's required maltiness. I would think less is more.
If going with dry yeast, I might opt for Windsor instead. It leaves a nice body behind and can be a bit more characterful than Notty.

Good luck with it. I hope to get on the British Bitter and Mild train this year as well.

I think Dry Hopping with marijuana might be good. Who cares what it tastes like? Just look at the colour man?

I'm curious how that much molasses would be like in the finished beer. Make sure to use unsulphured molasses.
Yes I didn't know this about molasses I'll opt for treacle instead hoping to avoid this sulphur.
@soccerdad
Thanks for the Heathy link I'll check out what he has to say on the subject of course he's done mild lol.
@Megary yes I'm hoping that by adding more complex dark sugars that they might impart some sorta dark fruit flavours to the beer.
But maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way having never brewed the style.
Hopefully mashing high and that dark crystal will keep the FG higher than .006.
This I've all got in stock so that's why I'm running with Notty. This'll be a week or two before I brew thanks for your Windsor suggestion I'll def pick some up from HB store next I'm in.

I was actually wondering if I should dial back the roast a tad as I don't want this to dominate just play it's part in that smooth drying Roastiness that accompanies the caramel sweetness Hopefully rounding it out.

I'm employing The Brew Mentors flaked wheat to prop up the body add the creamy mouthfeel and provide some froth.

How about chocolate malt in place of the roasted barley?
Yeah I like where your going with this Iliff BUT I've got 120g of roasted barley left I wanna use up so it's getting mashed I added the midnight wheat to add some more colour and it shouldn't be as roasty.

I do love me some Chocolate malt but mmm mmm

After listening to brulosophys latest on black IPA and their cold steeped vs mashed dark malt exbeeriment I think I'll be mashing for 60.
I'm craving some roast i just don't don't don't want no astringency please!

You think it's wise to leave out the dark sugar @Iliff Avenue Brewhouse I'll prob do a v2 on this and get some Windsor yeast and maybe some marris otter going on v2.

Yeah I like where your going with this Iliff BUT I've got 120g of roasted barley left I wanna use up so it's getting mashed I added the midnight wheat to add some more colour and it shouldn't be as roasty.

After listening to brulosophys latest on black IPA and their cold steeped vs mashed dark malt exbeeriment I think I'll be mashing for 60.

You think it's wise to leave out the dark sugar @Iliff Avenue Brewhouse I'll prob do a v2 on this and get some Windsor yeast and maybe some marris otter going on v2.
I kind of see a Dark Mild as:
Maris Otter
Crystal (pick your favorite medium to dark, or mix two)
Chocolate Malt
EKG
Favorite English "Pub" yeast.

Beyond that, maybe some torrefied wheat. I can see some Brown malt fitting in as well. I know there is a long history of British brewers using sugar, but I'm not sure what that brings to a Dark Mild besides gravity and attenuation. Of course, I rarely if ever use sugar, so I'm willing to learn. I wish I didn't have my next half dozen beers already planned out because you have me dying to brew this!

Here's an extract recipe the AHA released last year for Learn To Homebrew day
Screenshot_20220211-091818_Chrome.jpg

I think it's looking pretty damn tasty how you have it however I do like the idea of molasses in it for something fun. I've used it a couple of times but from what most say, a little goes a long way...

Erring on the side of caution will usually reward you though. I hear Windsor and Nottingham co pitch works really well in beers such as this...

Wife and I went to a brew pub tonight, and what do you know? They had a dark mild on tap. Really good! Roastey and black, but not the sweet thick feel of a stout.

...After listening to brulosophys latest on black IPA and their cold steeped vs mashed dark malt exbeeriment I think I'll be mashing for 60...

With roast malts one person's astringent undrinkable mess is another persons warm toasty roasted delight. Cold steeped or capped leaves me feeling sad, so I'm with you on the mashing the roast malts for the full 60 minutes. But I like roast flavours more than most.

With roast malts one person's astringent undrinkable mess is another persons warm toasty roasted delight. Cold steeped or capped leaves me feeling sad, so I'm with you on the mashing the roast malts for the full 60 minutes. But I like roast flavours more than most.
Same

Back