What REALLY matters when brewing beer?

Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Just what it says, what do you think makes a difference(recipe not withstanding) when you are brewing beer?

I'll freely admit I'm no pro brewer, but, I think making quality beer really comes down to basics. Consistency, repeating the same process the same way every time and hot side sanitation. Do it the same and keep it clean.

I don't worry about ferm temps(just ambient in the basement, USUALLY around 65, but it has gotten as cool as 55 and as warm as 70). I do try to use yeast that is fairly forgiving in that regard.

I've also gotten away from pulling a lot of samples, generally I just take a gravity measurement when it goes into the fermenter and one before I transfer it to the keg(as long as I'm at expected FG).

Generally I think a lot of us tend to overthink things, I know I have.

Great post.

1. Have fun
2. Clean, then clean some more, then sanitize
3. Make the yeast happy
4. Have patience.
5. Have fun

Because, for me, this is just a hobby. If I ain’t having fun (like when I was playing golf :p) I lose interest REALLY fast.

Following…

I dont know really how important they are, but these are the things I always check.
  1. do a starter when appropriate
  2. PH of the mash
  3. Iodine check for sach conversion
  4. OG target
  5. Oxiginate wort
  6. fermentation temp
I seem to have good results most of the time, so good or bad, I will keep doing things the way I do them until someone gives me reason to change it.

I Agree whole heartedly having fun enjoying the process of the marvellous miracle of making beer right at home.
Brewing great beer I think also helps you stick around in the hobby too:rolleyes:.

Adding to that striving to brew better.

I like making all the Doodads that go with brewing it's an outlet to the creativity side.
Like beer if it sux well scrap it start again and do better.

To be honest though there have been days I've been brewing that felt like a job you know just getting more beer on tap:rolleyes:

1. cleaning
2. Sanitization
3. Sanitize again
4. Make sure I don't tune out the family on brew day
5. Get close on mash temps
6. Gravity is gravity, if i plan and im close great
7. Keep yeast happy but understand a degree or two wont kill my brew
8. FG is FG and I am drinking it.

Just what it says, what do you think makes a difference(recipe not withstanding) when you are brewing beer?

I'll freely admit I'm no pro brewer, but, I think making quality beer really comes down to basics. Consistency, repeating the same process the same way every time and hot side sanitation. Do it the same and keep it clean.

I don't worry about ferm temps(just ambient in the basement, USUALLY around 65, but it has gotten as cool as 55 and as warm as 70). I do try to use yeast that is fairly forgiving in that regard.

I've also gotten away from pulling a lot of samples, generally I just take a gravity measurement when it goes into the fermenter and one before I transfer it to the keg(as long as I'm at expected FG).

Generally I think a lot of us tend to overthink things, I know I have.

I agree, too many overthinkers and perfectionists have made me turn in just the opposite direction, my focus is on mash temperature, ph mostly and final volume, nothing else is that important, if the beer is good that's all that matters, if it becomes work I back off for a bit, it should be relaxing not stressful

The problem with making good beer is that everything matters! But no need to obsess over anything. My issue has always been the 6-hour brew day. I’m often not feeling it. Going electric/indoors where I have everything stored & Splitting my brew day have helped me enjoy the processes more. Making good beer makes it worth it

Last edited:
1. cleaning
2. Sanitization
3. Sanitize again
4. Make sure I don't tune out the family on brew day
5. Get close on mash temps
6. Gravity is gravity, if i plan and im close great
7. Keep yeast happy but understand a degree or two wont kill my brew
8. FG is FG and I am drinking it.
disagree with 4! that is half the point lol

Yeah, that's the biggest downside. And the cleanup, which happens at the end when I am already tired. It takes a lot out of me.
Have a wash sink in the brew area, hose everything down and run CIP after I'm done. Easy as I can make it.
I like making all the Doodads that go with brewing it's an outlet to the creativity side.
Like beer if it sux well scrap it start again and do better.
Kind of a gear junkie too, always looking for little mods/upgrades to make it easier/more consistant.

Last edited:
Big pitches and oxygenation.

Nearly every single off flavor problem I've had has been yeast health related. ~90 billion cells and some aeration is simply not enough for most 5 gallon beers. Pitching heavy and oxygenating will give shorter lag times, faster fermentation, less chance for infection, and faster cleanup.

Splitting my brew day have helped me enjoy the processes more. Making good beer makes it worth it

I too split my Brew Day. I was wondering at what point you split yours.
My break point is Mash Out. That is, instead of draining the Mash Out into the Kettle, I drain the hot mash into 2 Carboys with Air Checks & let them cool over night. As I don't put water into the Air Checks I don't experience the Suck Back others have described. As I Boil the next day, I haven't been worried about infection.
Shorter Brew Days allow me to clean up as I go & as I brew outdoors, temps & weather dictate start & end times especially in February.
For me, the downside is I have to assemble my Brew house each Brew Day.

I too split my Brew Day. I was wondering at what point you split yours.
My break point is Mash Out. That is, instead of draining the Mash Out into the Kettle, I drain the hot mash into 2 Carboys with Air Checks & let them cool over night.
I drain off to the kettle, put lid on and wrap it with some insulation. It’s usually near 100degrees the next morning

Back