Mash water requirements calculation error

Overture

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Hope you are well.
I am editing a recipe and using the mash requirements calculator (usually works fine) and for strike its calculating my grain (5.5) * mash thickness factor (3) + 4 L of dead space below the grain basket (Doesn't contribute to mash thickness) = 30 + L. My grain absorption rate is 1 L per Kg of grain.

Is anyone else having issues with it today? By my calculation I should require 18.85 L of strike water.

Cheers,

Dan.

Hey @Sigma Brew Co., I'm looking in your recipes and can't tell which one you're looking at specifically. I see several recipes with 5.5kg, but non with a 3L/kg mash thickness.

Looking at your equipment profile, I see that the you have a mash tun addition set to 4.4L, this field/property of the equipment profile was created to support modern all-in-one systems in mind that have a volume below the mashtun/basket/bag, that is drainable but is causing an overly thick mash within the mash container. The 4.4L here is added to the desired mash thickness, and is not counted as a loss.
If you want this 4.4L counted as a loss, and not taken into account to adjust the mash thickness calculations, please use the Mash Lauter Tun Losses equipment profile property.
upload_2022-1-27_18-16-42.png

Otherwise what I'm seeing here is below, 19.3 (really 19.25L), where 4.4L is added from the mash tun-addition.
upload_2022-1-27_18-21-6.png

Hi @Pricelessbrewing and thanks for your reply. I think the glitch has gone now as the recipe has updated correctly this time. I have the 4.4 L set as volume beneath the grain basket as you say for an all-in-one system so as to not contribute to the mash thickness. A lot of my recipes are held as private as they are used commercially but thank you for taking a look into this I appreciate it.

Kind regards,

Dan.

Back