re-heated mash?

Someday Co

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hey peeples, I brewed an all grain batch this morning, but I noticed the mash was at around 148 instead of the 154 I wanted. I realized it was because I measured the grain temp the day before, and now it was a bit cooler, also I didn't pre-heat the mash tun. So what I decided to do was boil a small part of my sparge water and pour it in until it was up to temp. Was this a bad idea? I'm thinking now that by throwing boiling water in I could have denatured some enzymes. Should it be fine?

Hey peeples, I brewed an all grain batch this morning, but I noticed the mash was at around 148 instead of the 154 I wanted. I realized it was because I measured the grain temp the day before, and now it was a bit cooler, also I didn't pre-heat the mash tun. So what I decided to do was boil a small part of my sparge water and pour it in until it was up to temp. Was this a bad idea? I'm thinking now that by throwing boiling water in I could have denatured some enzymes. Should it be fine?
Good save. You might get a slightly different wort than if you'd hit the right temperature but you certainly didn't hurt anything.

I do the exact same thing if my mash temp is too low. Basically you did an unplanned step mash.

(Edited for grammar)

Last edited:
I routinely mash at 148 for a good long time and then raise up to 158 for a dextrine rest. The addition of boiling water might have an effect on a small part of the mash enzymes, but the heat would dissipate quickly and, assuming you stirred, wouldn't have evened out almost immediately.

Back