Booze and pot

I have no objection to weed and in many cases I think weed has saved the life of someone who would have killed themselves with alcohol. Willie Nelson a prime example. But I have no interest in mixing the two.

Hey guys, I somehow missed this thread at the time. Wow goes all the way back to 2016.
Lots of old thinking about the effects & cost of goods.
Having used both separately & together, I thought it reasonable to chip in some real world info.
1st, do you REALLY think a site like this would be banned or would censor a thread exploring unusual or unique materials to brew beer? After all "Beetroot, Chili & Chocolate Stout" is kinda out there.
2nd, it is illegal to brew a COMMERCIAL beverage which contains THC/CBD & alcohol. THC/CBD in a non alcoholic beverage or alcohol with out THC/CBD but not both for fear of losing their Brewer Licence. Ask Dad & Dudes about that. They did and they were spanked by both the Feds & the county.
3rd As homebrewers, we aren't selling our brews, so no issues.
4th Cost of goods. 22 percent AA pot from a Medical Dispensary runs $27 an 1/8 oz (3 g for Metric users) & $85 per oz. I typically buy 1/4 or 1/2 oz for $35 to $45 respectively.
5th extraction of the THC & infusing it into the beer. I suggest EmilyKyleNutrition.com for details but it comes down to Everclear or Glycerin as an absorber. I prefer the Glycerin as the alcohol needs to be evaporated. Both require an emulsifier to allow an oil & water to mix without separating. Lethesine does that very well. It's a Health Food product found in Whole Food, Natural Grocery & GNC.
I use 1 cup of either with an 1/8 for a 9mg per 12 oz or a 1/4 for 19mg. I add the Tincture to the 5 gal keg after the beer is fined or Cold Crashed.
6th What effect when consumed & what impact on taste & appearance of the beer. In Colorado, a Recreational dose is 10mg while a Medical dose is 25mg. Effect depends on AA of the pot & experience of the drinker. 10mg for most experienced consumers is a light buzz while 25mg is a significant buzz. Appearance is a slight haze in a Cream Ale. I'm planning to add a 20g Tincture to the Irish Fling Red Ale 1st Q Community Brew.
7th Do you drink a beer at work or before driving a car? Whether the beer has pot in it or not? I suggest that the consumer should exercise good judgement. I label these beers with a warning:
"If you might have to pee in a cup, don't drink this beer"
I recommend both the Emily Kyle site & Brewing with Cannabis by Kieth Villa. Both excellent sources.
I hope these observations provide some real world information regarding combining 2 of our favorite things.
Edit: I reviewed my post after reading Donoroto's comment on my Metric Fumble. I found I needed to make some other revisions. Thanks again Don.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Shoulda stuck with OZs, that's how I buy. Never was comfortable with His.
Lots of things are illegal in GA.
Thanks for the call out.

When I was a teen and a 20 something - in the heyday of weed and acid, I had no problem combining drugs and alcohol. In my 30's my kids were being told in school to turn their parents into the police for weed use. So I went to alcohol only and reintroduced weed into my diet decades later, when the kids were grown and gone. But I did not combine the two.
I now find myself seriously pondering giving up alcohol entirely. I get night long low grade headaches from just one beer. If I give up alcohol altogether I will likely use weed a few times a week. I'm retired so no worries about driving anywhere or working sloned.
Oddly enough I do not want to give up making beer. It is therapeutic. I'm just beginning to think I can make it but not drink it.

When I was a teen and a 20 something - in the heyday of weed and acid, I had no problem combining drugs and alcohol. In my 30's my kids were being told in school to turn their parents into the police for weed use. So I went to alcohol only and reintroduced weed into my diet decades later, when the kids were grown and gone. But I did not combine the two.
I now find myself seriously pondering giving up alcohol entirely. I get night long low grade headaches from just one beer. If I give up alcohol altogether I will likely use weed a few times a week. I'm retired so no worries about driving anywhere or working sloned.
Oddly enough I do not want to give up making beer. It is therapeutic. I'm just beginning to think I can make it but not drink it.
Check blood sugar, my friend. I was having similar headaches, turns out it was hypoglycemia caused by metabolism of alcohol with type 2 Diabetes. Now that I've lost weight and control the sugars, no more headaches.

Yeah - I do take Metformin to control any onset of diabetes. My A1C tends to stay right at 6 or below.

My wife is Type 2 Diabetes & her A1C is 5 to 6 without any meds. She was taking Metformin. When her Kidneys started acting up the doc suggested she stop taking the Metformin as it is contraindicated for patient with Kidney issues. To late for her left Kidney. Ask your doc for your Creatine level. Usually, lab tests report Creatiin level. While she was taking Metformin she went to Stage 4 Kidney Failure in the course of 1 year.

Yeah - I do take Metformin to control any onset of diabetes. My A1C tends to stay right at 6 or below.
When I was diagnosed, I did a lot of research on alcohol and diabetes (NOT YouTube U or Dr. Google, reputable sites) and found that when we consume alcohol, the liver basically concentrates only on metabolizing it. All other functions cease, including production of glucose. Hence hypoglycemia after drinking. Eat something with complex carbs before drinking is supposed to help.

My wife is Type 2 Diabetes & her A1C is 5 to 6 without any meds. She was taking Metformin. When her Kidneys started acting up the doc suggested she stop taking the Metformin as it is contraindicated for patient with Kidney issues. To late for her left Kidney. Ask your doc for your Creatine level. Usually, lab tests report Creatiin level. While she was taking Metformin she went to Stage 4 Kidney Failure in the course of 1 year.
Weight control has a lot to do with it
I found out about the kidney issues when I had surgery. So far, no problems... But monitoring.

I'm going to try no alcohol for a month and a glass of water every time a want beer or whiskey. I need to stop ignoring proper hydration. If I get one of those headaches I'll go see the doc. Otherwise I'll check with him at my next appointment. Now to look up complex carbohydrates.

maybe distill to remove alcohol from beer? Freeze even. MJ sounds intriguing just for a flavor addition, maybe with dry hop but i wouldn't want it for blending effects. thats too much for me and its too dang expensive.

maybe distill to remove alcohol from beer? Freeze even. MJ sounds intriguing just for a flavor addition, maybe with dry hop but i wouldn't want it for blending effects. thats too much for me and its too dang expensive.
Yup nothing wrong with having a scooby doo whilst having a brew.

That sux you get bad headaches soccerdad hope you find your answer.

Theres already THC legal beers. Google them up.

Not that I'd know, but from what I heard just put 100mg per gallon of oil in and your good to go

upload_2022-8-1_8-54-25.png

Back