Omega Yeast OYL400 Bananza Ale Yeast

So this didn't have the banana flavor that I was hoping for on either one. Not even a little bit of a hint on the nose or taste. During fermentation is smelled like banana bread and I was really excited. While they are both drinkable and enjoyable, the banana flavor (which was the whole purpose of the experiment) really fell short.

I'll probably try again with this yeast, but going to go for a simple Hefe version to see if I can isolate the flavor of the yeast rather than all the other grains competing.

As per usual, back to the drawing board.

Hmmm. Why do you think you got that disappointing result?

I can speculate an under-pitch might bring out more banana. That's what I do for my Hefes.

Hmmm. Why do you think you got that disappointing result?

I can speculate an under-pitch might bring out more banana. That's what I do for my Hefes.

not really sure. could have been overpitch, but doubt it. massive banana aroma during fermentation, just wasn't there for flavor or aroma when bottled.

i'll give it a go with a simple hefe recipe and see what i get. won't under pitch at first. if that doesn't do it, i'll underpitch on the 2nd batch of hefe.

not really sure. could have been overpitch, but doubt it. massive banana aroma during fermentation, just wasn't there for flavor or aroma when bottled.

i'll give it a go with a simple hefe recipe and see what i get. won't under pitch at first. if that doesn't do it, i'll underpitch on the 2nd batch of hefe.
I was very happy with my last Hefeweizen. I used Mangrove Jack Hefeweizen yeast, one packet for 3 gallons, technically an overpitch. Got a great balance of clove and banana.

Check out our findings for maximum banana here: #8

Since that post, we eventually tried Bananza in a Dunkelweizen but the results were not as impressive as a traditional strain. While it is some work with decoctions, you can achieve very prominent aroma/flavor banana that is long lasting the old fashioned way.

Out of the various steps I mentioned in that reply, I have found the most critical is fermenter dimensions followed by open fermentation. Pitch rate and temp come in 3rd and 4th respectively. Hefe (as well as Wit and Kviek) seem to like to be underpitched for maximum fruit esther expression and full attenuation, so we do that as a rule now. But for Banana, you really have to reduce the head pressure during fermentation.

Also note, Speise-conditioned brews have better head, retention, and longevity of aromas and flavors. We plan for it and adjust our recipe to produce more than we are knocking out to fermenter, saving the extra unfermented wort for bottling/kegging. We've tried regular bottling and QuickCarbing kegs, but those don't hold up as long. QuickCarb seems great for fast turn-around to serve at a festival or event where you'll float the keg fast, but real quality and shelf-life demands Speise.

The one thing we haven't done a blind trial for is step mashing vs. decoction. That's next on the agenda. (technically a decoction is an old form of step mashing, but we want to see if the amount of labor for that exact process is necessary or if just the temp rests get the job done.)

Back