Coopers Ale Yeast

brewer@home

Premium Member
Reaction score
BF lists Coopers Ale yeast as high floculation. Coopers Ale yeast is actually a LOW floculation yeast staying in suspension through to the final product.

BF lists Coopers Ale yeast as high floculation. Coopers Ale yeast is actually a LOW floculation yeast staying in suspension through to the final product.
Do you have a source, ideally from manufacturer, to confirm? Every source I found in a Google search shows it listed as high flocculation.

Coopers yeast as I know it is sorta proprietary yeast. I've tried to clone it and used dregs out of some Coopers Pale ale (green label bottles).

Yup usually the bar man/lady will roll the bottle to rouse the yeast.
So maybe this has something to do with the hazy appearance. Bottle conditioned as are the kegs primed with cane sugar. As per Coopers sparkling (red lable) is as it sounds no yeast In that beer.

WLP009 is this Coopers yeast or Aus Lager yeast I know @Ozarks Mountain Brew has used it before. But I'm no sure if this is the Coopers brewery strain.

There's provably more threads on this on Aussie hombrew forum.

Do you have a source, ideally from manufacturer, to confirm? Every source I found in a Google search shows it listed as high flocculation.

Unfortunately not. I'ts a proprietary yeast that I recultured from bottles of their beer. They do use the same yeast for bottle fermentation as their main fermentation yeast. They used to use the motto 'Cloudy but Fine' in their ads. If you go to the pub and ask for Coopers, you will get a glass of cloudy beer. If you Google images of Coopers beer in the glass it will be cloudy. I am drinking a home brewed version of this now using their yeast and it's cloudy, no way will it settle out.

Attachments

• Coopers Clone.jpg
    Coopers Clone.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 53
The problem I see is that one entry for Cooper's yeast is the problem. They have a bunch of them. They also seem to blend the dry yeasts in different proportions for their kits. Hard to ever find one profile for a Cooper's yeast that would cover the full range of their beers. Most people using a Coopers yeast would be using one of the dry yeast sachets from their kits and that's closer to the Coopers Pale which is a relatively clear yeast. At least in comparison to the Coopers Sparkling.

The problem I see is that one entry for Cooper's yeast is the problem. They have a bunch of them. They also seem to blend the dry yeasts in different proportions for their kits. Hard to ever find one profile for a Cooper's yeast that would cover the full range of their beers. Most people using a Coopers yeast would be using one of the dry yeast sachets from their kits and that's closer to the Coopers Pale which is a relatively clear yeast. At least in comparison to the Coopers Sparkling.

Sorry Mark, I should have been more specific. I was referring specifically to the yeast that Coopers use in their commercial beer products, not the beer kits. Coopers is well known to use one only specific yeast strain in their commercial ale offerings that includes pale ale, sparkling ale, extra stout amongst others.

I'm surprised that they only use the one strain in their commercial ales. There's some pretty stunning differences between a Coopers pale and Coopers sparkling that I'd attributed to different strains of yeast.

When I've captured yeast from bottles in the past I haven't tried to add them to the Brewer's Friend ingredients lists. I've created the yeast entry in my personal inventory page and then used that for any recipes where I'm using the captured yeast.

Unfortunately not. I'ts a proprietary yeast that I recultured from bottles of their beer. They do use the same yeast for bottle fermentation as their main fermentation yeast. They used to use the motto 'Cloudy but Fine' in their ads. If you go to the pub and ask for Coopers, you will get a glass of cloudy beer. If you Google images of Coopers beer in the glass it will be cloudy. I am drinking a home brewed version of this now using their yeast and it's cloudy, no way will it settle out.
Haze is not always yeast related as it is in say a hefe, could be any number of things. I'm willing to adjust the properties if there's any information that can be confirmed by a reputable source, since I have no experience with this particular commercial culture. But right now, all manufacturers and retailers of Coopers Ale yeast that I can find list it as a high flocculation strain.

There's also the distinctly possibly scenario that what is sold as Coopers ale yeast is not actually what is being used by Cooper Brewery today. Things change, or it may have been a culture that has evolved and changed since, similar to many english ale yeasts that have very different from one supplier to another, or from any of the suppliers and their somewhat mythological source brewery (There's not always a lot of transparency in the yeast industry).

@Pricelessbrewing
@brewer@home

This is what I've thought Coopers yeast was WLP009 as I alluded to above
Whitlabs
https://www.whitelabs.com/yeast-single?id=109&type=YEAST&style_type=0
On Aussie hombrewer this post lists apparent coopers yeast strain as medium floculation compared to white Labs Aus ale yeast 009.

https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/wlp009-is-coopers-yeast.90572/post-1567735

As sited in that post it seems as I would suspect maybe the yeast has brittish origins.
Wlp006 yeast - Labs A01.

Back