Palesner Kveik - does anyone know what this is?

Steve797

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I recently obtained this 'isolated single strain kveik' from a seller in Holland. According to the seller it is different to most blended kveik strains and produces cleaner, crisper lager-like beers at high temperatures without any off flavours.
I have found very little info about this strain on line but I thought I'd take a stab at it anyway. Here's the recipe I put down yesterday. https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1216366/pseudo-pilsner-palesner-kveik
Heavily under pitched, there was a 16hour lag period (compared to 2Hours for Voss) followed by a very active fermentation that did not increased in rate for 12 hours. It is really starting to take off now however, and I have had to install a blow-off tube.

Does anyone know of this kveik and has anyone else brewed with it? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Nope not herd of it your a brave man brewing pilsner first up albeit not traditional :).
Would love to know how this goes.

Its my understanding that most pure kvieks are multi strained usually with a bacterial component along with saccaramyces.
So any single strain kviek must have been singled out in a laboratory or by a clued on HBer.

No worries Trialben. I'll let you know.
I have also found this Kveik for sale on a Brazilian web site. It also boasts a clean lager-like fermentation, but there is no mention of it being a single strain. o_O
So far this fermentation is a little slower than other kveiks I have used.
A 16 hour lag period then a SG drop over the last 35 Hrs from 1.044 to 1.013 according to the iSpindel which can be a little inaccurate in a fermentation.
It obviously is not a very healthy fresh yeast as it was sent from the other side of the world but I will crop (top and bottom), store fresh, dried and make starters for future ferments provided this turns out O.K.

It sounds like someone decided to make one word out of "pale ale" and "pilsner"

If you can give mevtha name of the seller, I can check if there is any info in Dutch
Good luck with the brewing and keep us posted.

No worries Trialben. I'll let you know.
I have also found this Kveik for sale on a Brazilian web site. It also boasts a clean lager-like fermentation, but there is no mention of it being a single strain. o_O
So far this fermentation is a little slower than other kveiks I have used.
A 16 hour lag period then a SG drop over the last 35 Hrs from 1.044 to 1.013 according to the iSpindel which can be a little inaccurate in a fermentation.
It obviously is not a very healthy fresh yeast as it was sent from the other side of the world but I will crop (top and bottom), store fresh, dried and make starters for future ferments provided this turns out O.K.
Yup I'd imagine it's been sitting awhile next batch I'm sure it should fire quicker for you.

I wonder if the low pitch applies to this strain.
You know lars has done a blog on these yeasts if he hasnt found it and wrote about it I'd be surprised.

Kviek Lutra is also a pseudo lager yeast. It’s available in liquid and dry form. It’s supposedly an isolated pure strain from generic Kviek yeast.

I haven’t used it myself, but others I have talk to others that used it say it’s very clean, but lacks the lager expression of sulfur. Sulfur isn’t very good at high levels, but in most lagers it’s there in the background blending nicely with the malt. It sets lagers apart from ales. So its very clean and makes a very good beer, but misses the mark as a lager.

Last edited:
Sorry for the delayed update. Something happened at my end which prevented me from posting for 4 weeks.

Anyway, here's the update:
YUK!!!
This is the first time I have brewed a beer that I don't want to drink:confused: There is a flavour to it that I can't describe. It tastes as much like wine as it does beero_O After more than 2 weeks bottle conditioning it has remained very cloudy. 60 X 375ml bottles will be going down the drain:mad::(:(:(
I will leave the recipe posted for those who may be interested, but will delete it in week or so.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that
Keep at least a couple bottles!
It might improve in the long run?

That is a bummer Steve! Have you had this hop mix of Centennial and Cascade before?

While you are not putting a whole lot of hops in this recipe, it is about the same as a blond recipe I made that had a sour after taste to it...the same sour I get out of Chablis or Chardonnay. Everyone I offered it to liked it and they didn't sense the sour that I did. Granted, I used a different yeast than you (I think it was Safale's US5) but the Kveik I have used is clean as too is US5 so that's why I am asking about your palate to Centennial and Cascade. My recco is to try Saaz and Tettnanger or Hallertau instead.

Um, you have over 4% Acidulated malt and you're adding citric acid. I'm not at all surprised it has a tart flavor.
Are you checking the pH with a meter or just trusting your water source and the BF calculations. I've found substantial discrepency between what the water chemistry is predicted to be in the recipe and what it actually is in the brew pot.

Also I don't think you should expect familiar beer flavor notes from a lot of those Kveik strains.

That is a bummer Steve! Have you had this hop mix of Centennial and Cascade before?
Yes I have used this combo before. I kinda like it . I will, however, be using Saaz and / or Hallertau in my next brew. I think the problem is actually the acid level and type.
Um, you have over 4% Acidulated malt and you're adding citric acid. I'm not at all surprised it has a tart flavor.
Are you checking the pH with a meter or just trusting your water source and the BF calculations. I've found substantial discrepency between what the water chemistry is predicted to be in the recipe and what it actually is in the brew pot.
Guilty! I was relying on the BF calculator. I do have a PH meter but the reason I don't usually check is because there is little that can be done at that stage without throwing out the water chem in other areas.
I have a batch on the fermenter now which is similar, but I am using Voss Kveik, P.O.R. hops, Lactic Acid and 100% Bo Pils grain (no acid malt). I used the BrunWater calc. to determine the water profile (PseudoBohPils) and mash PH.
I will definitely make use of the PH meter next time though. Good info for future reference.
Thanks for your help guys!

N.B.
"Pride Of Ringwood HOPS???" I hear you cry!
Just an experiment, about 18 IBU. I plan to do the same next time, but with Saaz / Hallertau for comparison.

Last edited:
Guilty! I was relying on the BF calculator. I do have a PH meter but the reason I don't usually check is because there is little that can be done at that stage without throwing out the water chem in other areas.
I have a batch on the fermenter now which is similar, but I am using Voss Kveik, P.O.R. hops, Lactic Acid and 100% Bo Pils grain (no acid malt). I used the BrunWater calc. to determine the water profile (PseudoBohPils) and mash PH.
I will definitely make use of the PH meter next time though. Good info for future reference.
I've been leaving out or cutting down on the Acidulated on recipes. I'm going to use Bru'n Water for the next batch and see what happens. In general, my lager style beers have never been tart, though.
In the case of your odd-tasting beer, I very much suspect that a relatively low PH along with "exotic" flavor contributions from Kveik strain yeast is at the heart of it. Either that or you have an infection that's giving you a sour.
I've mentioned before that I haven't experienced many, if any, Kveik beers that I liked or considered very true to style because of flavor contributions from the yeast that are very unlike the flavors produced by the yeasts that they're replacing in some recipes. Time and again I hear about "clean" fermentation at high temps but I firmly contend that "clean" is not by any means synonymous with "neutral".
In my opinion, the long and short of it is this: if you want a lager-style beer...use a lager yeast. :D

I can't think I have EVER achieved the pH value of 5.4 in the mash - at least not to my recollection anyway.
I do try and balance it using the BF recipe builder and adding acidic grains to achieve the 5.4 but...
I even bought a combined pH/Thermometer unit to suspend into the mash but - and I didn't confirm before I bought - the temperature probe only went up to 50C so no good for mashing.
Without making a tea with a small sample of each grain in a recipe I am not sure how to go about proving what the BF builder says - I have to trust it's calculations on pH despite my failures.

Back