Bread Thread!

Super easy. 1 hour rise, shape, 10 min proof. 3-5 mins on each side on a griddle, finish in oven for 7-10 mins...I've had 3 so far today. Planning on eggs Benedict tomorrow for brekkie :D
One I was looking at had a 18 hour ferment!
I was hungry and it was Breakky time I ended up making pancakes lol

Just my every day loaf

IMG_20210808_223137804_copy_768x1024.jpg

After seeing comment here somewhere I tried making English Muffins. Just a simple recipe found on line. They looked reag good , just like a store bought. Even had a great airy texture. But tasted more like pancakes.

That looks great! I’ll be baking a loaf later today, and might try your scoring pattern.
I'm trying to make my bread look better as well as taste better so I have been practicing different scoring patterns. I like the way this one looks and it seems to encourage a nice vertical oven spring

View attachment 18308 Here is my sourdough round, fresh from the oven. I switched things up a bit, this time. My oven has convection capability, so I used it. I utilized a scoring technique that allowed for even opening. Yes, it looks a bit overdone, but I bet it is good inside.
Oh I do miss my sourdough bread but my belly dont!
Mate you sure do a lovely sourdough loaf!

Oh I do miss my sourdough bread but my belly dont!
Mate you sure do a lovely sourdough loaf!
Thanks Ben, it actually turned out well, inside it looks great. Enjoyed a slice toasted this morning, with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of sea salt. It will make a fine egg sandwich, or a base for avocado toast.

Thanks Ben, it actually turned out well, inside it looks great. Enjoyed a slice toasted this morning, with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of sea salt. It will make a fine egg sandwich, or a base for avocado toast.
Oh yeah that stuff is Amazing toasted sooo crunchy!

A whole other grain to glass....

IMG_20211128_131309.jpg
IMG_20211128_131422.jpg
IMG_20211128_131637.jpg
IMG_20211128_133851.jpg

I usually make my mash rolls with wet mash but was too lazy to thaw out a pack so let's see how dense a cup of dry does instead of 2 cups wet...but first... a trip to the grist mill...hi hi Vita-Mix

I use a coffee grinder to turn my oven-dried spent grain into a coarse flour. After getting inconsistent results (too dry or too moist) I weighed what I was adding and found significant variance in a cup of spent grain flour from batch to batch. Now I only add spent grain by weight. I use 90 grams of spent grain in place of 1 cup of whole wheat flour.
FYI: I use a Cuisinart bread machine.

I tested milling simpson pale ale malted barley and ended up with 100 gram
I decided to run it through my small mill (3-roller) to grind it a bit finer.
(Pic 1, next post, not working right now)
Then added equal amount AP flour, 60% water, baking powder, oive oi and salt.
I let it sit for a bit and then baked (or is it fried, but I used no oil?) In my cast iron skillet.
(Pic 2)
The result was not pretty, nut it tasted good and I'm sure I ate more than the monthly required intake of fibre in one go ;)
(Pic 3):p:p:p

Double post....

Back