% Roasted Color ----Water Calcs

mengelma

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello All

Working to improve the water going into the beer using the water calc tools.

Working my way through the calcs. Question on % roasted color input on the mash calcs. Documentation says input a % (25%, 50%, etc). Just trying to understand how to get that info, is the % of roasted malts to the total grain bill?

Sorry for the NOOB question

Thanks for the input.

Hi Shaun,

Its the advanced calculator (I think....10+ input sections)
** My Brewing
***My Water Calcs
**** A saved Test Profile, using a full water report

It is in the Grist Info section,
** Grist PH properties are based on 'Beer color'
*** Grist Weight: Got It
*** Beer Color SRM: Got it
*** % Roasted Color: Looking for some guidance on how to get this info.

Thank you all!

First question: What's the problem you're trying to solve? There are several ways to adjust alkalinity - what you want to adjust with acid, salts or dark malts. Each has their plusses and minuses, as well as their limitations and most are complicated. Here's my take: If you really are a NOOB, as you state, you may be concentrating on the wrong thing. If your water is good, that is, it tastes good, isn't too hard and doesn't reek of chlorine, brew with it as-is until you are comfortable with the entire brewing process. If it reeks of chlorine, you can either invest in an inline activated charcoal filter - I use one designed for RVs - or use Campden tablets (potassium metabisulfite) to remove the chlorine or chloramine. Make sure your sanitation, fermentation and mashing are good before looking to water - there really isn't that much to be gained there for a beginner.

It is the percent of dark roasted malts (chocolate, roasted barley) in the grist. When I use the calculator I put in the full malt bill option. You can specify the type of each grain (base, crystal, roasted) and get a pretty accurate estimation of the mash pH.

Hi Shaun,

Thanks for the input, I now have it figured out.

I was using the calculator on its own to understand how it works ( I am waiting on my water test from Ward labs). In the grist section, I did not have the Lovibond for each type of grist, so I was trying to use the beer color process......I figured out, after I started the thread, that if you open the water calcs from a completed recipe that has the grain bill, that the grist section of the water calcs gets populated with the grain bill info...Lovibond and all.

Bottom line is I got it.

Sorry for the NOOB question.

Thanks all

NOOB questions are quite welcome: We were all there once!

Back