Best lager yeast for warmer fermentation

Thanks, I have put some ice on the top and on the sides. The temperature is a bit high (18 celcius) but stable. On another note, would you suggest when the temperature falls to a more normal level within a week or so (when the fermentation starts to end), should I allow that or heat it back to the current temp to deal with the diacetyl?
Once it ferments at 18C, it shouldn't need a D-rest. You'll want to keep it at a steady temp until it reaches FG otherwise it could start to stall when it cools.
The 840 yeast may or may not stay clean at those temps and is likely to throw a fair amount of acetaldehyde. Liquid yeasts aren't as consistent without making a starter - cell count on liquid yeast drops pretty drastically as it ages. If you made a starter you could have a good beer out of it but without one, you may have a fairly stressed yeast colony that's wanting to produce a fair amount of esters. Time will tell and it should be quite drinkable, in any case. :)

Once it ferments at 18C, it shouldn't need a D-rest. You'll want to keep it at a steady temp until it reaches FG otherwise it could start to stall when it cools.
The 840 yeast may or may not stay clean at those temps and is likely to throw a fair amount of acetaldehyde. Liquid yeasts aren't as consistent without making a starter - cell count on liquid yeast drops pretty drastically as it ages. If you made a starter you could have a good beer out of it but without one, you may have a fairly stressed yeast colony that's wanting to produce a fair amount of esters. Time will tell and it should be quite drinkable, in any case. :)
Great information. I did make a starter and will keep the temp throughout the process. Thanks.

Reactions: J A
Mauribrew 497 will run clean into the low 70s. It's my go to yeast for almost everything. Clean, likes warmer temps, works fast. Love it. I've read that Mangrove Jacks M54 is the same yeast,
This one is new to me. Thanks, I'll check it.

Mauribrew is dry yeast packaged down under.
Oz or NZ - I can't recall.
It is often available in 500 gram bricks for about 10 cents a gram ... $1.50 for an 11 gram packet.
It gets good reviews.
That's how I buy it. It keeps very good in the fridge between batches(I vacuum seal it also).

Mauribrew is dry yeast packaged down under.
Oz or NZ - I can't recall.
It is often available in 500 gram bricks for about 10 cents a gram ... $1.50 for an 11 gram packet.
It gets good reviews.
I didn't know this id suspect NZ with the Mauri bit maybe referring to NZ indigenous Maori people maybeo_O?

Fermentis actually posts flavor profile test results for 34/70 and backs up its usage in that temperature range with clean results, which I find reassuring. I fully understand that dried yeast manufacturers have an incentive to broaden their market with claims about not needing aeration or not needing temperature control, but I also suspect they are backing their claim with a tasting panel with a proven palate. Another source I'd trust is good craft lager breweries (few and far between though I visited one in Minneapolis recently of good quality called Utepils). If they are changing their yeasts or procedure without impacting customer perception of quality then that's a strong indicator. So far, most of the psuedo-lagers I've had the opportunity to taste are of poor quality, but several batches of 34/70 at 17C has me using my own temp control in my cellar less than I used to for lager made with that yeast.

Mauribrew 497 will run clean into the low 70s. It's my go to yeast for almost everything. Clean, likes warmer temps, works fast. Love it. I've read that Mangrove Jacks M54 is the same yeast,
What about Lutra Kviek I've not used it but hear it's pretty clean.
I've used 34/70 and S189 with tasty results.
Mauribrew may be "clean" but it definitely doesn't present a lager flavor profile in the range of ale fermentation. I find it to be lacking in support of either malt or hops and sort of "doughy". It's not a bad yeast at all but the next time I use it I'll be doing something in the amber range and something with pretty strong bittering.
As for the Kviek, I've tried a couple of light-malty beers that used it and, again, "clean" may be a descriptor but "neutral" definitely isn't. I don't like the flavor expression of that yeast at all. There's a local blonde that should be a good beer but I just can't get past the sort of odd flavor notes that I get from it. I did have a Kviek "lager" from a brewery in Tacoma that I thought was quite good but I suspect that they're filtering it.

Mauribrew may be "clean" but it definitely doesn't present a lager flavor profile in the range of ale fermentation. I find it to be lacking in support of either malt or hops and sort of "doughy". It's not a bad yeast at all but the next time I use it I'll be doing something in the amber range and something with pretty strong bittering.
As for the Kviek, I've tried a couple of light-malty beers that used it and, again, "clean" may be a descriptor but "neutral" definitely isn't. I don't like the flavor expression of that yeast at all. There's a local blonde that should be a good beer but I just can't get past the sort of odd flavor notes that I get from it. I did have a Kviek "lager" from a brewery in Tacoma that I thought was quite good but I suspect that they're filtering it.
Skare Kviek is one side by side I did brewing a international lager recipie earlier last year .
I fermented the skare 35~c came out pretty clean but took a bit of lagering and didnt clear up in the end.

LUTRA on the other hand is getting rave reviews look I wouldnt go brewing your best lager beer with it first but a clean blonde why not.

S-189 turns out fantastic. I just used it twice, at room temp, love it. No off-flavors, very clean, even warm.

Surprised to hear that. The optimum range on the packet is what turned me from it. I'll keep that in mind!

I personally like s23 or 34/70

Lutra from what I've been told is similar to Oslo, which is the cleanest fermenting 'farmhouse yeast' on the market

There's a brewery in the US that only uses Kweik yeast strains. There's 82 of them

It looks like Northern Brewing now carries Omega Lutra as a dried yeast. Very intriguing...

That's neat, I like the idea of more dry strain options.

Back