Hello from Seattle

Atcosu

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I am new to the forum but love the website. I just brewed my first Xmas ale utilizing the website and it was right on. I have been home brewing for about a year now (all extract) and I am having a blast just manipulating different recipes to fit my taste. I hope to find some great information on this forum.

Good luck and happy brewing!!!

Welcome!
what kinds of spices did you use for that ale?

i agree with you, i tend to do some test batches here and there, where i change just one ingredient (hops, yeast, malt) and then compare the results. Really drives home the difference between 2row/munich/vienna malts, US/NZ/German hops, and US/UK/Belgian yeast.

Hi jmcnamara,
I tried using coriander, crystallized ginger, and orange peel in the boil. I am going to add cinnamon during the secondary. I will let you know how it turns out. What spices do you like to use?

well, i better learn to really use coriander, since i miscalculated and bought a 9lb bag at a local Indian market. I only needed about a lb. :roll: I've used that in various wheat beers. and of course orange and grapefruit zest. if you don't have one, i highly recommended getting a micro planer / zester thing. worth it's weight in gold. I also used some chamomile in there too.

i'm planning on a small pumpkin milk stout batch, using nutmeg, cinnamon, and allspice. i don't normally like pumpkin beers, so we'll see how that goes.

not really a spice, but i've "dry hopped" with hibiscus leaves. but i think i used too much and/or left it in too long because it's a little bit astringent or otherwise off. and i've done it with some toasted coconut and some charred, rum-soaked oak chips

great to have you, hey off topic my daughter and military husband are moving to Tacoma, Good Place to live? seems pretty there

Hi Osarks! I really enjoy Seattle, great craft beer scene. Happy brewing!

Back