Is it dead? When will we get better recipe edit options?

Brewer #40102

Trial Member
Reaction score
I sugned up in december 2014, giving it a chance. Thinking there would be a lot development and new features.
To be honest : it feels quite dead to me. Brewing with brewersfriend is still a hell and does not make my live easier, it makes it complicater.

Let's take a brewsessions from the first step : planning. I want to brew something based on my inventory. Just a little info about what recipes match my inventory, or a alert what ingredients (and amount) are not in the inventory are missing.
Next we go to the scaling. Ever tried to find out the max liters of beer to brew with a current recipe and setup?
Let me tell you : open recipe -> edit -> scale -> save(!) -> quick water requirements -> hmm , no error so potentially it would fit in the mash tun -> scale again -> save again -> quick water requirements -> still no error -> scale again -> save again -> quick water requirements -> error about exceeding limits of mash tun.

I do not want to save when fidling with volumes. I do not want to click and wait for calculations. I do not want to wait for a error, just tell me right away the volume of current mash with current volumes on the recipe editor please.

Or perhaps you want to create a new recipe. The only way to get the a specific gravity is by adding several ingredients and fiddling with grams. Why is not possible to enter a gravity and fill in the fermentables with the percentage for this recipe? Creating a recipe with the following set of rules "75% pilsner malt, 15% wheat and 10% biscuit, with a OG 1.063" would be finished in seconds.

The we have brewday. Oops .. the fresh hops you bought have a different alpha then the alpha mentioned in the recipe from a year ago. Now you have to remember the current IBU for that hop moment, change the alpha in the input field and fiddle with the grams to match the IBU's you remembered in the first place.

I do not think I'm asking for ridiculous options. In my opinion these options should be basic stuff for brewing software.
Can the devvers of brewersfriend give their opinion on these matters. Will the ever be build in? How long would it take to build in?

Thanks in advance :)

Thanks for your ideas of how to make the tool better.

I am sending your information to the tech staff to look at.

Thank for your reply, but most of these issues have been mentioned almost a year ago by me and/or others:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1789&p=11508#p11349
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2040&p=12708#p12684
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=975&p=11348#p6169
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1778&p=11303#p11303

That time theaswer was the same as you give now "thanks, great idea. Will look at it in the feature". I haven't seen any of these features in the app. Hence my question : is brewersfriend dead?

Still hoping for these functions, for me these should be basic functions in brewingsoftware.

Brewers Friend is a very useful tool for me. I don't consider it to be dead. I'd say it's alive and well.

No software company will ever say that your requested idea is horrible. They will all say that they will look into it. If they said it a year ago, and never implemented your idea, you can assume that they don't see your idea as a priority, in line with their goals, or a good fit for their software. At the same time, if many people, as in recurring daily or almost daily, continually ask for the same things you want, you may get their attention.

jeffpn said:
Brewers Friend is a very useful tool for me. I don't consider it to be dead. I'd say it's alive and well.

No software company will ever say that your requested idea is horrible. They will all say that they will look into it. If they said it a year ago, and never implemented your idea, you can assume that they don't see your idea as a priority, in line with their goals, or a good fit for their software. At the same time, if many people, as in recurring daily or almost daily, continually ask for the same things you want, you may get their attention.
I understand your reply, but don't agree ;) . Although it is *my* personal opinion, the current options are horrible .. not the request ;)
Rule number one for brewsoftware : calculate hops based on alpha and desired IBU. Same goes for calculating volume (it is available, but with to much effort).

Anyway .. really hoping to hear IF and WHEN these option would be build. I don't want some customer friendly reply. Just say what you think and what will be on the roadmap or not. No hard feelings when it's not going to happen. But please tell me straight so I can look forward to other software, instead of paying for software that won't suit me needs.

Back