Primitive cider (again)

Looks like some Belgian beer brewing happening in Zambezi I'd save them for the beers and use the cider yeast.
I've been fermenting here with no cold fermentation control (I've got a heat belt to hold temps but) I've noticed ferm temps reaching 22c I'll bet that's great for ferm cider yeast.

Thanks Ben,
I'll make up a batch this weekend.
I'll go for either kveik or the cider yeast.
And yeah, my yeast collection gives away my beer preference, doesn't it :p

Just checked the slightly further away weather forecast and from next week our night temperatures look to go up to 18-19 oC, with no big difference in day temperature.
So much more constant.... Will wait a week.
If I find the patience ;)

5 litre cider on the go :)
From packs of juice again
This time with some homemade tamarind juice (?) added to it.
1/4 tsp vos kveik and the pack of yeast is now empty.
Temperature is higher than the thermometer strip can measure. I estimate 34-35 oC.
Fermenter is now in a coolbox as it still cools down quite a bit at night.
The fermenter is accompanied by 4 experimental bottles of sparkling water to be, so they can exchange stories ;)
Let's see what happens!

Hi,
How long does it take from preparation to consumption?
I make hard cider from Aldi apple juice, it takes about a week to 10 days to be ready, but I carbonate it by pressurizing it in a soda bottle. It could be faster but I allow time for the yeast to settle out for very clear cider.

Hi,
It depends - if you are not in a hurry, it could be a few weeks to a month (that is my usual timeframe).
Some other users, who seem to be less patient than myself, are likely to chime in.

I found the fermenting took its merry time and conditioning it cold for a week or three did it wonders.
Glad this thread is up again will have to see if I cant craft a honey/apple ciderish drink I'm thinking about:)

My wife finished the last bottle of the latest batch of cider last night. This batch, fermented to dryness with S-04, and bottle conditioned using D-45 Belgian Kandi Stroop was her favorite, so far. Early on it had some aroma of sulphur, but that faded quickly. There was good fizz, and the flavor was great. Looking forward to making another batch soon.

My wife finished the last bottle of the latest batch of cider last night. This batch, fermented to dryness with S-04, and bottle conditioned using D-45 Belgian Kandi Stroop was her favorite, so far. Early on it had some aroma of sulphur, but that faded quickly. There was good fizz, and the flavor was great. Looking forward to making another batch soon.
That's what I got from 34/70 batch which is weird for that yeast as normally in lagers I find it's the least on the fart aroma.
Maybe cider must really stresses out these maltose lovers:).

Hi,
I use kveik and that's a real fast working yeast ;)
Since I didnt do much in measuring, I would count on 7-10 days fermentation, followed by a similar amount of time for bottle conditioning and carbonation. Then minimum 2 days in the fridge.
That's partly for safety.
I would think you can get away with 4-5 day fermentation, 7 day bottle condition and 2 day fridge :)

The last batch I did, fermentation started slow but finished in 5 days. I let it sit a couple more then back sweetened in the keg (cold) for 2 or 3 days.

Bottled 4 litres cider the real lazy way, in 1 ltr bottles ;)
Now back in the coolbox for carbonation.
Also added 5 ltr applejuice to the left over trub for my next batch.

Since I now have a refractometer, I decided to use it.
The applejuice is 12 brix, thats without the tamarind juice. I'm just going to assume it is roughly the same.
FG (applejuice incl tamarind) is 4 brix.
I now come to an alcohol percentage of 6.8 :p
No wonder I fall asleep after a couple ciders. I may just have to go back to half litre bottles:cool:

Bottled 4 litres cider the real lazy way, in 1 ltr bottles ;)
Now back in the coolbox for carbonation.
Also added 5 ltr applejuice to the left over trub for my next batch.

Since I now have a refractometer, I decided to use it.
The applejuice is 12 brix, thats without the tamarind juice. I'm just going to assume it is roughly the same.
FG (applejuice incl tamarind) is 4 brix.
I now come to an alcohol percentage of 6.8 :p
No wonder I fall asleep after a couple ciders. I may just have to go back to half litre bottles:cool:
If you haven’t figured out a wort refraction index (WRI) correction factor for your device, then your abv is probably different. The Brix reading is not accurate when alcohol is present, so must be corrected. There is a spreadsheet available in the “Tools” tab for working out the correction factor for your device, but it requires comparison measurements with a hydrometer. In my experience the FG reading appears to be higher than it actually is - this is where the correction factor comes in. So your FG, when corrected, may actually be lower, meaning your abv is higher. Maybe that is why your liters of cider are putting you to sleep.

Thanks Herms!
I'll do that when I have a hydrometer again.
For now: it gives a reasonable indication. It doesn't take much to get me to sleep anyway ;)

I started a 2 gal batch last Thursday. Here's what I did. I took some frozen blueberries (1.5 cups) and 1/2 cup of filtered water heated them up to just about boiling point, smashed them, then cooled them. Threw them in the fermenter, poured the apple juice in then US05. Since then there's been no bubbling in the airlock, The berries floated to the top where there is a white foam. Is the something nasty going on in there? I used idophor and star san before any of this took place.

Maybe the co2 is escaping elsewhere?
I've never seen bubbles going through my airlock....
Anyway, opened my test bottled today. Lightly carbonated. Tasty. I think better than the previous ones (or maybe I needed it more as I had a shit day). Cannot taste the tamarind back
IMG_20210907_171030.jpg

I started a 2 gal batch last Thursday. Here's what I did. I took some frozen blueberries (1.5 cups) and 1/2 cup of filtered water heated them up to just about boiling point, smashed them, then cooled them. Threw them in the fermenter, poured the apple juice in then US05. Since then there's been no bubbling in the airlock, The berries floated to the top where there is a white foam. Is the something nasty going on in there? I used idophor and star san before any of this took place.
Could be something nasty, but let it ride. Your process seems to be excellent with sanitation so perhaps all is well. But if green or blue stuff starts growing, dump it. As for no bubbles, there can be a CO2 leak somewhere; let it go for a week or two then test the gravity.

I never use an airlock, my process is literally almost as primitive as possible: Open Aldi apple juice bottle, pour off several ounces, add the yeast to the bottle, and tighten the cap only enough so that, when squeezed, the bottle cap allows air to escape. Put is in a dark place for 2-3 weeks, decant it into a 2 liter PET bottle and carbonate.

Back