hop flavour idea

i drink to forget

Trial Member
Reaction score
possibly a stupid question, but as im sure all of you have experienced when going for that big upfront hop flavour, the tastiest flavour compounds seem to come from very late and or whirlpool additions, and dry hopping, but a lot of this seems to get blown off during fermentation. now my crazy idea was to perhaps boil up a weak hop syrup with loads of hops added and squeezed out with the priming sugar and adding this just before bottling so as to keep all my precious hop flavour locked inside the bottle as fresh as can be. Now im sure lots of folk out there have had the great idea already and actually done it and worked out why its a bad idea and stopped doing it considering the millennia of collective beer making, so in the name of stopping me from making an expensive mess tell me why im a damned fool. please.
ps. i would be making a stronger initial wort to compensate for the extra liquid added at bottling.

its hard to keep the same hop flavor for long periods, the hop oils do not bind to the water and sugar very well and over time it just drops to the bottom but try it and good luck

Ozarks Mountain Brew said:
its hard to keep the same hop flavor for long periods, the hop oils do not bind to the water and sugar very well and over time it just drops to the bottom but try it and good luck
Well that should be easy to fix. Just shake it up real good before you open it! :D

I am keen to try this out. How would you go about making the hop syrup?

Also, I heard about steeping around 30% of the hops in the recipe at the transfer of the wort to the boil kettle. This means that the hops steep until the boil starts. I accidently added the first hop addition too early and ended up doing this by default. The brew turned out to be a winner.

regards,

Pete

before you carbonate in bottles heat in a sauce pan a small part of the finished wort up to 150 while steeping your hops in a bag swirl the bag around to keep from burning, do this for at least 15 minutes or longer if wanted, after complete squeeze the bag of hops then discard, mix the wort thoroughly and cool to at least 70. next put in a 2 liter or 20 ounce bottle, shake up to thoroughly mix before adding a small amount to each of your bottles, measure with something if needed

well then! seems no good reasons not to try. what im looking for is the flavour compounds that come from the below boiling point additions youd get from whirlpool so i think i'll make a fifty fifty steep with some hops added while boiling and some added below 95c and ill keep it steeping for a while at this temp as i know some oils are volatile at this range but not others. always found the flavour from this is amazing but dissapears by the time the beer is ready when doing it the normal way. i like the idea of using some of the wort for the solute though ozark cheers.
experimentation is fun when beer is the object.
ill keep you posted.

Back