corny keg cip ball cleaner

Minbari

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Haven't tried it yet, but the idea seems solid. It will use the Pump from my brew setup to pump cleaner.

Ever tried to use a knock out punch on stainless? Ya I broke it!

20210721_165752.jpg
20210721_165745.jpg

How are you running clean solution through it? Is the keg going to be upside down?

I clean kegs with a sump pump in a 7 gallon bucket with @ 2 gallons of PBW solution in it. I spray the inside with a crude version of your spray ball, it's a 1/2" PVC pipe with a cap on it. There are holes drilled into the pipe at the cap and along the sides. The keg is placed upside down in the bucket and the pump is turned on. The only thing I really can't clean well is the dip tube. I wash for @ 20-30 minutes depending on how bad it's soiled. It works really good for Sanke kegs.

The spray ball is definitely nicer then my PVC pipe, I'll bet it will cleaner faster and better than just a pipe with holes in it.

How are you running clean solution through it? Is the keg going to be upside down?

I clean kegs with a sump pump in a 7 gallon bucket with @ 2 gallons of PBW solution in it. I spray the inside with a crude version of your spray ball, it's a 1/2" PVC pipe with a cap on it. There are holes drilled into the pipe at the cap and along the sides. The keg is placed upside down in the bucket and the pump is turned on. The only thing I really can't clean well is the dip tube. I wash for @ 20-30 minutes depending on how bad it's soiled. It works really good for Sanke kegs.

The spray ball is definitely nicer then my PVC pipe, I'll bet it will cleaner faster and better than just a pipe with holes in it.
I actually hadnt thought about turning it upsidedown. that might work better. I have a small tub and a sump pump for cleaning bottles, its even heated. I would just have to make something to hold the keg from falling over. :)

I was planning on just filling it with 1/2 gallon of cleaner and putting a tube in it for the pump to draw from. (the second hole)

To support the upside down keg, I use a bucket with a hole I cut into the lid. The hole is slightly smaller in diameter than the keg. It does a good job at supporting the keg.

My only concern (nitpick really) about the lid you have is that the lip where the lid connects to the keg will not get clean under the seal. Not a big deal, but you will need to scrub that lip manually. Alternatively, you could make a pvc attachment that connects to the sump pump and has threads for the cip ball. This will have the benefit of increased flow because that barb on your lid is pretty restrictive, especially if you're using a sump pump.

I bought one recently to attach to the end of the bucket blaster pipe. Yeah it does a great job BUT man O man you gotta dial down the cleaner or you get some Foam-mania!

Back