What are you doing with homebrew today?

Cleaned 3 kegs and used one of them to package the basement pale ale tribute that's been cold crashing for a week. The first few gallons seemed super clear as seen through the silicone tubing. Got a PET bottle of the dregs (not at all clear) as a fast-carb test, and used some of the us-05 slurry for a batch of primitive cider.

Here you can see the beer level in the keg as it is filling from the condensation on the outside. Sorry for the inverted photo...

71274288-1EB1-4FB0-B195-5D87AA16FE41.jpeg

Bottled the Citra session, got over 2 gallons packaged. The bitterness has smoothed out (still present, but not as harsh), and some vegetal/grass flavor I was getting a few days ago is no longer noticeable. I bottled directly from the fermenter spigot and I'm paranoid that it's adding air to the liquid the whole time. I really hope not for this hoppy beer.

I also tried the Brewer's Best carbonation tablets for the first time (4 per 12 oz bottle per the instructions). We'll see how well they carb up! Brew shed is 80F right now, I've got 2 PET bottles to check conditioning progress in case the dosage is off. Time to start planning the next brew :) Cheers!

Bottled the Citra session, got over 2 gallons packaged. I bottled directly from the fermenter spigot and I'm paranoid that it's adding air to the liquid the whole time. I really hope not for this hoppy beer.

I also tried the Brewer's Best carbonation tablets for the first time (4 per 12 oz bottle per the instructions). We'll see how well they carb up!
I bet using a bottling wand with an appropriate length of tubing would quell your concern about oxidation.

Racked Pale Ale after a long cold crash. First time kegging. Put the serving keg in the cooler box with ice packs and about 14 psi of CO2. A week maybe to condition?
Flat sample tasted good.
4-5 days and it should be carbonated well enough at 14 psi. Depending on tube length and temperature you may want to drop it to 10 psi for serving. Let us know how that first pour goes! Welcome to kegging and being done with bottles!

Cleaned 3 kegs and used one of them to package the basement pale ale tribute that's been cold crashing for a week. The first few gallons seemed super clear as seen through the silicone tubing. Got a PET bottle of the dregs (not at all clear) as a fast-carb test, and used some of the us-05 slurry for a batch of primitive cider.

Here you can see the beer level in the keg as it is filling from the condensation on the outside. Sorry for the inverted photo...

View attachment 16721
Ah that's what I miss about summer ah the only thing lol.

4-5 days and it should be carbonated well enough at 14 psi. Depending on tube length and temperature you may want to drop it to 10 psi for serving. Let us know how that first pour goes! Welcome to kegging and being done with bottles!
Amen 14psi I'd say is on the upper limit of a set and forget.

Hoping I get another point or 2. Was supposed to finish at 1.012, it’s at 1.017 after only dropping 0.001 yesterday. I’ll let it warm up today and hope. Still figuring out attenuation with pressure fermenting.

I bet using a bottling wand with an appropriate length of tubing would quell your concern about oxidation.
I used a bottling wand with about 3 ft of silicon tubing attached to the spigot. I think the problem is that the spigot has a reservoir for liquid that doesn't get completely filled with beer, and the beer flowing through undoubtedly comes in contact with air and gains a bit of turbulence going down the tubing.

But I've always used this valve and don't think I've had any major oxidation issues, I'm just being paranoid as usual. Something to tinker with and improve for next time :)

Screenshot_20210723-081515_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions, looking forward to that first draft!

How are you keeping the heat on at night and what sort of yeast are you using?
Lallemand Voss kveik and ambient outside temps in the backyard shed (Richmond, VA). I had a thick wool blanket bungeed around the Fermonster. No temp control for the bottles, just ambient.

Back