Secondary fermentation gaffe

Bensta

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi folks. This is my first post but I've been lurking for a long time. Great site.

So, I racked an IPA to secondary about two and a half weeks ago. Yesterday, I opened the pantry door to grab something and, as I glanced at my beer, I noticed that I'd placed the airlock on it without the inner cap in place. Presumably, the beer's been sitting there exposed to oxygen for the last couple of weeks. Now, I've had less than air-tight fermentors before that produced good beer. But I'm still, understandably I think, quite nervous about this issue. My question is, how concerned need i be? Should I krausen the beer? Or would many of you let it ride and just drink it quickly? Arrrgghhh. There's always something, right? :D

At any rate, thanks in advance for your input.

if you only bottle I'm not sure their is anything that you can do at this point its either good or bad, if you keg you can force the oxygen out easily, it should be done by now and if you were dry hopping the extra oxygen can mildew if exposed to the air so take a sample warm and go from there

Because Co2 is heavier than o2 and it is such a small hole. I don't think you are going to have any issues.

Back