Common mistakes made by Homebrewers

Part 1 subjects covered
- doughing in
- grain crush
- equipment quality
- temperature control of fermentation
- storage of ingredients
- recipe adjustments for available ingredients

I'm sure what he has to say is good quality but difficult to listen to.

Last edited:
Arrrrgh!!!! His commentary style is CRAP. I'm sure what he has to say is good quality but he must have gone to the Pinocchio School of Speech. I will persevere but so far a Dalek from Davos is more easily listened to. Expectoratttte!!!!!
My SO asked if was watching brewing ASMR videos when I was watching David Heath earlier :D! It's not a terrible idea tho...the sounds of grains being poured, the gentle roiling of the boil...

Arrrrgh!!!! His commentary style is CRAP. I'm sure what he has to say is good quality but he must have gone to the Pinocchio School of Speech. I will persevere but so far a Dalek from Davos is more easily listened to. Expectoratttte!!!!!
He is very, very dry, but he is very knowledgeable, and wants very much to help us all brew better.

He is very, very dry, but he is very knowledgeable, and wants very much to help us all brew better.
Yes I'm sure of that... especially the phrase about what his dad taught him lol
I shouldn't have been so critical really - I couldn't do what he does. I'm sorry.

Yes I'm sure of that... especially the phrase about what his dad taught him lol
I shouldn't have been so critical really - I couldn't do what he does. I'm sorry.
I get it buddy, no worries.

Mistake #80217: Not researching your 'new' yeast. Diastaticus for a wheat beer, WB06. Instead of hefeweitzen I'm gonna end up with Berliner Weiss :(
I've brewed with half a dozen different diastaticus yeast. No sour coming from those, just dry. Some where phenolic, some estery, some neutral. Haven't tried yours, so it will be interesting, but I'm expecting a dry heffe type of thing.

Hmm, maybe more like a Blue Moon. Dunno. I'll report once I get it carbonated. Nearly stabilized at 1.018 (according to the Tilt) after 3 days, so another 3 days rest and we'll see.

I have only brewed one of his tried and tested recipes, and it is now a go to in my rotation (the ESB)

I have only brewed one of his tried and tested recipes, and it is now a go to in my rotation (the ESB)
I did his Vienna Lager as did @thunderwagn I enjoyed it compared to my current one well I'm happy to drink both (I brewed em in the end) and I'm a beer glutton 100% put a beer in front of me and there s a 100% chance I'll drink it:p.

By the way, I appreciate David Heath. To a point. His voice doesn't bother me as I have known a number of Brits with that accent or impediment or whatever it is. At least I fink I have known some.
I struggle with his attitude. He thinks he knows it all.
I asked him a question once and he acted like I had insulted his mother.
And I struggle with his transparency. People should reveal when they are either given product or paid to use a product.

By the way, I appreciate David Heath. To a point. His voice doesn't bother me as I have known a number of Brits with that accent or impediment or whatever it is. At least I fink I have known some.
I struggle with his attitude. He thinks he knows it all.
I asked him a question once and he acted like I had insulted his mother.
And I struggle with his transparency. People should reveal when they are either given product or paid to use a product.
Personally, I just take what makes sense for me from his content.

As noted David has advertisements in these videos.
He is also promoting his Facebook Group towards the end of each video.
In spite of this I believe that these videos can be very beneficial as references for Novice Brewers.
This may also be helpful for the more experienced brewers to make reference to when offering advice to the newer brewers.

Ya hard for me to like no matter how helpful when it seems like self promotion. Not sure if he has affiliate links etc., but if so, these belong on reddit or somewhere people don't pay a subscription.

My first brew was supposed to be a hefeweizen but it's since become known as the nefeweizen. My problem was the grain bill, specifically LME I was using. I got desirable enough results out of the WLP300. Pitched into 5 gallons, no starter and I actually got decent banana flavor out of it. About to do a dunkleweizen with WY3068, excited to see how that comes out

I just brewed a summer wheat ale, pitched the wrong yeast in it. WL Saison 2... still excited.

I just brewed a summer wheat ale, pitched the wrong yeast in it. WL Saison 2... still excited.
Interesting may have an interesting beer on your hands like Belgian witbier:)

Thought about starting a new thread, but this is a beginner’s mistake so it can fit here: Fermenting in a keg for the first time, and know little about kegs and pressure control, etc.

Three pieces of knowledge gained during the day: 1) pressure can build up rapidly during fermentation, and needs a clear outlet, 2) gas post and beer posts are different on a ball lock keg (plain is beer, notched is gas), and 3) a blowoff tube (and from what I’ve read an open/faulty picnic tap) can quickly become a siphon when placed lower.

How do I know? let me count the ways.
1) Thought my keg was leaking, with no fermentation less than one day after pitching. Nope, blowoff tube was blocked and the leaking was from the pressure relief valve! Took a beer shower fixing it.
2) Blowoff setup was flawed due to posts swapped incorrectly, and an upside down spring resulting in a stuck poppit.
3) Pressurized beer flowed out into the blowoff bucket. Next, Tried taking out the small gas dip tube, but just ended up leaking gas without that gasket on that tube. Moved blowoff bucket higher.

Once it was all set up correctly, fermentation stopped again due to a clogged post and I got it restarted with a blast of CO2 in the post (more swapping of lines required). Thinking next time maybe an in-line check valve, with the hose connected right where the gas post connects, but without the post…

good the beer spills were in the garage and not the carpeted basement (this time)

This makes me glad that I ferment in either a FerMonster or Speidel, and that I bottle. Maybe someday I will step up to the big leagues and keg, but I’m not there yet.

Back