Three favorite beer styles with medium ABV and low to medium IBU?

Box of Rocks

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Looking to pick tried and true recipes for my next few brews, as I dial in for new equipment and strive to improve my skills. Going for middle of the road classics. Thoughts?

Not sure if they translate well to american tastes, but...
...I am working on a (bavarian?) helles right now, with some success.
...IMO, can't go wrong with an english bitter / pale ale.
...and even though I haven't tackled any yet...schwarzes, weizen, red ale or maybe even a stout / porter!?

...and even though I haven't tackled any yet...schwarzes, weizen, red ale or maybe even a stout / porter!?
Sounds like great beer to me!

I have a 4.3 Hazy that is really, really good if that would intertest you

If i had White Labs California Common yeast I would do a steam beer. If I had a Kolsch yeast I would do that. I always have some Notty, 04, and 05 and there's 20 beers to make with those.

Helles sounds great. English bitter as well, along with an amber or brown. Might hold off on stouts and porters for now, although they will make my longer list.

Cream Ales or California Common. Czech Dark Lager if you want to really jump off the cliff…Shady Bohemian is 4.7ish and around 25 ibu..
Really like Anchor Steam, so California Common would be good. Not sure my temp control is ready for true lagering yet though, but Shady Bohemian sounds great. Only know Genesee cream ale from my youth and it’s only a vague memory.

What styles do you like to drink? Pretty much anything can be made with a moderate ABV.
I’ve been focusing too much on IPA’s, which I enjoy, but which require dry hopping. Want to get some basic brewing down where it is repeatable and consistent, and doesn’t require too much hops. I’ll look to get back to IPAs at some point, after I attempt some new (to me) styles. Recently brewed a low ABV golden American Ale, “light yardwork”, which came out well.

Really like Anchor Steam, so California Common would be good. Not sure my temp control is ready for true lagering yet though, but Shady Bohemian sounds great. Only know Genesee cream ale from my youth and it’s only a vague memory.
My "temp control" is bascally basement temp(mid to high 60s). I just take the temps I have, figure in what I want the yeast to do, and reverse engineer it from there. Mauribrew 497(I've read it's the same yeast as Mangrove Jack's M54) and Fermentis 34/70 play well at ale temps and ferment reasonably clean.

Or perhaps a Northern German Pilsner like Jever, dry with about 40 IBU, and noble hops (but more bitter and less aroma)?

Back