French Canadian beer?

I thought it was funny that the Toronto Sun headline referred to him as a former Leaf (and didn't mention the Sabres in the headline) when he played **checks notes** 5 games there and had zero points
The Toronto Sun is a bit of a sensationalist rag really, they should be made to change their name to "The Sun Enquirer". They never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Yeah the Sun line of papers is racist tripe most of the time.

Have you considered something like La Fin du Monde? A Belgian tripel brewed in Quebec.
That sounds like something that would work!! I was almost going to say I should just do some Belgian style but like use British hops. I'll try to find a clone recipe later when I get home. My father-in-law is going to be real judgey when he finds out I'm doing three Belgians in a row :D. My current schedule would be a witbier then @AHarper 's Mann Pee and then this recipe. Thanks @Bubba Wade I'll let you know what I can find

While I like both Hockey and Beer - I don't know much about Canadian beer and Hockey... SO - This has got me excited to do some research! What I can say right off the bat is: Lallemand Yeast is a privately owned Canadian Comapny! I remember that from a bit of research I did on the yeast last year. ------- Maybe making something with ingredients that are Canadian is the way to go. Isn't Gambrinus a canadian company too? Their Honey Malt is great! I wonder what else they have? Anyway, I'ma start researching!

BTW - I wouldn't count out a "lager" - Nottingham yeast can create a pretty clean profile if kept at 66 and below. I made a blonde ale with Nottingham and mostly pilsner malt that all my German relatives kept calling a Pilsner.... That should say something! lol

Whew... That was not as exciting as I had hoped! lol (at least beer-wise - Canadian Hockey has it going on though!)
I guess I still recommend using the most Canadian ingredients you can Lallemand, Gambrinus (or a smaller more local maltster) and hops grown in Canada (a supplier was hard to find) - https://greatcanadianhops.com/our-hops/ - but I couldn't find anyway to buy from them. These folks sell hops grown in Canada graintoglass.ca/collections/pellet-hops-canada-homebrew-supplier

Sorry if this wasn't terribly helpful....
My other thought was an ale made with maple sap as the water (I've done this with great success in a brown ale and want to try again in a lighter beer!)
And maybe lightly bittered with magnum and then aroma'd with Spruce tips. - Just waiting for my spruce trees to grow in a bit more for me to try this myself :)

Whew... That was not as exciting as I had hoped! lol (at least beer-wise - Canadian Hockey has it going on though!)
I guess I still recommend using the most Canadian ingredients you can Lallemand, Gambrinus (or a smaller more local maltster) and hops grown in Canada (a supplier was hard to find) - https://greatcanadianhops.com/our-hops/ - but I couldn't find anyway to buy from them. These folks sell hops grown in Canada graintoglass.ca/collections/pellet-hops-canada-homebrew-supplier

Sorry if this wasn't terribly helpful....
My other thought was an ale made with maple sap as the water (I've done this with great success in a brown ale and want to try again in a lighter beer!)
And maybe lightly bittered with magnum and then aroma'd with Spruce tips. - Just waiting for my spruce trees to grow in a bit more for me to try this myself :)
I'm thinking a Trippel with Canadian pilsnen as a base and the Gambrinus honey malt. I'm going to continue looking into sourcing Canadian ingredients. What does anyone know/think about Wyeast 3864? It's labeled Canadian/Belgian ale. Seems promising...

I don't think this is produced anymore, but it would have been in the 60's and 70's, maybe even the 80's
upload_2021-7-5_12-54-45.png

I forgot how weird that movie was.

It's 7/14 so I'm remembering Martin and Robert today. Would have been a great day to plan my brew but I'm working and I've been caught up trying to get passport stuff sorted out for the vacation that we just had to cancel yesterday so this kinda took a backseat. This picture is from a ceremony in 1995.
ae5bd8f2c2e81a3247338d9d7f0e22a2--hockey-stuff-french-connection.jpg

Perrault had his number 11 retired earlier in 1990 but they had his banner lowered so that they could have their numbers retired and hung together. I could be wrong but I don't think there are any other lines in NHL history that not only have all their numbers retired by their team but also have them hung together with mention of their line. Maybe in Montreal with one of their many dynasties.
800px-French_connection_statue.jpeg

Statue that was erected in the plaza about 10 years ago, want to say it was shortly after Martin's passing. It'll be interesting to see how they honor Robert given that the current ownership has had many recent PR failings. Particularly fans were less than happy with the recent 50th anniversary (not only because of the on ice product) and how everything was executed. It was made worse because Vancouver being their expansion sibling did theirs the same year and knocked it out of the park. I'm really hoping they can get it right and regain trust with the fans and the Alumni. Guys like the connection that were fixtures at games when I was growing up in the 90s have been coming around less and less and it's kinda sad.
Anyways I'm going to play with the recipe tonight and then probably place an ingredient order for each of my next 2-3 brews next week

Had a thought. I know I've heard that maple syrup can produce off-flavors in beer but what if I used like granulated maple sugar instead of candi syrup? Would it still cause an issue

Had a thought. I know I've heard that maple syrup can produce off-flavors in beer but what if I used like granulated maple sugar instead of candi syrup? Would it still cause an issue
I've never had "off" flavors from maple syrup. Best I've done with it though was an all Maple sap brown ale. 10 gallons of Maple sap from a local orchard/Maple syrup producer - mash water and sparge water - added a very earthy flavor to the beer. Not quite like oak chips but along those lines. Very tasty.

Hadn't heard that about maple syrup, but had heard that not much flavour survives fermentation. Some people recommend fenugreek instead.

It's 7/14 so I'm remembering Martin and Robert today. Would have been a great day to plan my brew but I'm working and I've been caught up trying to get passport stuff sorted out for the vacation that we just had to cancel yesterday so this kinda took a backseat. This picture is from a ceremony in 1995.View attachment 16586
Perrault had his number 11 retired earlier in 1990 but they had his banner lowered so that they could have their numbers retired and hung together. I could be wrong but I don't think there are any other lines in NHL history that not only have all their numbers retired by their team but also have them hung together with mention of their line. Maybe in Montreal with one of their many dynasties.View attachment 16587
Statue that was erected in the plaza about 10 years ago, want to say it was shortly after Martin's passing. It'll be interesting to see how they honor Robert given that the current ownership has had many recent PR failings. Particularly fans were less than happy with the recent 50th anniversary (not only because of the on ice product) and how everything was executed. It was made worse because Vancouver being their expansion sibling did theirs the same year and knocked it out of the park. I'm really hoping they can get it right and regain trust with the fans and the Alumni. Guys like the connection that were fixtures at games when I was growing up in the 90s have been coming around less and less and it's kinda sad.
Anyways I'm going to play with the recipe tonight and then probably place an ingredient order for each of my next 2-3 brews next week
There was a lot of hype when Pegula's came in to purchase the Sabres, it is unfortunate the way things have gone.
If you ask me, owners need to hire the right people, and let them do their jobs.
https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/...res-fire-dan-bylsma-tim-murray-scouting-staff
Kevyn Adams comes in with no experience as GM, doesn't sound like a recipe for success.
I hope your beer recipe is a success though!!!

There was a lot of hype when Pegula's came in to purchase the Sabres, it is unfortunate the way things have gone.
If you ask me, owners need to hire the right people, and let them do their jobs.
https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/...res-fire-dan-bylsma-tim-murray-scouting-staff
Kevyn Adams comes in with no experience as GM, doesn't sound like a recipe for success.
I hope your beer recipe is a success though!!!
I agree 100%
I only have faith because Kevyn Adams hired Jason Karmanos, long time associate GM to Jim Rutherford in Carolina and Pittsburgh and Karmanos in turn hired Sam Ventura, one of the co-founders of WAR-on-ice and widely considered one of the smartest analysts in hockey away from Pittsburgh. Really at this point the only edge the Sabres are going to get in rebuilding is if they can out money-ball the rest of the league

Back