You know you did it wrong when...

... You are holding the hose during the transfer to fermenter to make sure you are getting some good aeration, when suddenly the wort is not coming out the hose into the fermenter, it is being pumped directly onto your garage floor:confused:
Normally clean up after brew day doesn't involve a mop:mad:
I quickly jammed the hose back on and soldiered through

When you realise your new stainless steel pressure fermentor wont fit in your ferm chamber:eek::eek:
20210518_150302.jpg

Ohoh:(.

@Hawkbox that's what I'm thinking and wrapping the heat belt around it to keep temp up.

@Megary I'm glad I forgot the axe was there lol:p!

@Donoroto Yes and or my end goal with this fermentor was to install a glycol coil and use the freezer to chill the cooling liquid and pump the glycol to chill it.
Missus wants more freezer space and I thought a glycol system would = a win win.

Well 3 degreasings later and the aromatic smell of diesel fuel has mostly gone away.
When I was a kid a neighbor had the oil truck come to fill the tank, but it wasn't empty as he had been heating mainly with a newly installed wood stove. They pumped 100+ gallons of oil into his basement. Fortunately for them it was an insurance claim, but it was a nasty, and prolonged cleanup before the smell was gone.

When I was a kid a neighbor had the oil truck come to fill the tank, but it wasn't empty as he had been heating mainly with a newly installed wood stove. They pumped 100+ gallons of oil into his basement. Fortunately for them it was an insurance claim, but it was a nasty, and prolonged cleanup before the smell was gone.
I was pulling out an old tank. thought it was empty, guess the drain valve was just plugged. When I hit one of the steps hoisting it out, it snapped the valve off. Was able to get the floor drain dammed off right away to keep it contained. Have 9 gallons of empty tank in the buckets I USED for measuring grain(I have new buckets now). On the plus side, this was probably the most thorough scrubbing I've ever given that floor.

Oh yeah I've done that to myself before but not to that scale. Never a good time.

Set the temp controller, turn it on & a couple hours later the fermenter is reading 84 F. It is helpful to plug the heat belt into the controller & not directly into the outlet.

The corollary to that is leaving the probe on the cold basement floor...which I've done...more than once :oops:

Back