Home made pizza

These look so good. my last try was better than the first but not great. loose dough when it warmed up. maybe not enough stretching? Any tips for making a good dough for thin & crunchy? I finally nailed scratch biscuits. i think i can do this. Devil was in the details.

I threw together a quick dough this morning for pizza tonight.
I typically do a 2 day dough with a cold ferment for at least a day, but no time for that today.
I just mixed it up and kneaded it for about 5 minutes, then covered it and asked my wife to pop it in the fridge about 5 hours later.
I'll pull it when I get home, ball it up and let it rest for about 45 minutes before cooking.
Hopefully it all works out ok.
I get some pictures if it does.
Cheers

Anyone else replace the water in the dough with beer? My favorite is to use a nice spicy Belgian Tripel and lemon infused EVOO in the dough.
Instead of plain water I use the final runnings from my mash tun. I try to keep the gravity below 1.008 because I don't need a lot of sugar in the dough. With a one or two day cold ferment the dough is fantastic.

All this talk about pizza well is Contagious!:)
20210618_193918.jpg

0-3 now with yesterday's try. recipies all come out like cake batter. :mad:. read some info on NA-Pizza. Probably too much hydration for florida pizza & maybe some inaccuracy measuring with cups. it seems that a little off on water is huge.

Today’s effort -45% hydration target to be safe & used a scale. 300g ap flour, 135g water, dry as expected. added 43g water and came out with a nice dough ball. tacky but held shape. used 10g more flour get it workable outside to knead. dough looks way better, nice elasticity and holding together. finished up at 57%. I'll give this one a go tonight. Might even cut back to 55% if this goes well

Last edited:
Hopefully you can see the image above.
The dough handled and came out looking good and with a nice chew on the crust, but the cold ferment dough has way more flavor.
This dough was more typical of a pizza shop dough.
None the less, we ate them and they were still good for a same day dough.
Cheers!

[QUOTE="WesBrew

I Make my dough @ 62.5 % hydration with unbleached bread flour if you need a starting point.

Last edited:
0-3 now with yesterday's try. recipies all come out like cake batter. :mad:. read some info on NA-Pizza. Probably too much hydration for florida pizza & maybe some inaccuracy measuring with cups. it seems that a little off on water is huge.

Today’s effort -45% hydration target to be safe & used a scale. 300g ap flour, 135g water, dry as expected. added 43g water and came out with a nice dough ball. tacky but held shape. used 10g more flour get it workable outside to knead. dough looks way better, nice elasticity and holding together. finished up at 57%. I'll give this one a go tonight. Might even cut back to 55% if this goes well
Work it towards the shape you want, and then let it rest. Then repeat.

Toppings....
I've seen some interesting toppings on some of the pies here.
How about we create a toppings or pizza type list of some sort?
Not sure the best way to do it, but maybe a ranking order and a specialty list.
Maybe it could be a sub thread or an attachment to this thread?
Can someone do this?
I'll start with a unique one.
I made a Ballpark pizza with hot dog pieces, cheddar cheese, light sauce, grilled onions and then when it came out of the oven I drizzled ketchup and mustard over it.
Came out great.
Cheers

I made a Ballpark pizza with hot dog pieces, cheddar cheese, light sauce, grilled onions and then when it came out of the oven I drizzled ketchup and mustard over it.
Sacrilege! They'll pull your Italian License for such heresy!

Ketchup on a pizza.:eek:

:p:D:rolleyes:

Toppings....
I've seen some interesting toppings on some of the pies here.
How about we create a toppings or pizza type list of some sort?
Not sure the best way to do it, but maybe a ranking order and a specialty list.
Maybe it could be a sub thread or an attachment to this thread?
Can someone do this?
I'll start with a unique one.
Came out great.
Cheers
That one I did had bacon on it instead of ham similar I know but Better!

Is anyone doing a pre-bake on their shells?
I was experimenting with real crispy thin crust and I'm liking a 1 minute bake on the shell on each side on a 500° stone.
I rolled the dough for thickness consistency but don't like how the edges come out.
Next time I'll form and hand toss before the pre-bake.
I did succeed with a very thin crunchy bottom though.
Cheers

Back