I brewed today!

This sounds really interesting, I am keen to hear how it turns out. There is plenty of malt backbone to support all that bitterness.
Just thought i'd let you know how Thor's Thunder came out. This is the closest I have come to the pint Scott poured me in his garage. Mashed at 156f for 90 min. then a 2hr boil. Not much sweetness to balance all the dark malt and hops but a nice "creamy", for lack of a better word mouthfeel. And the alcohol was there too, not burning but present. I think mash temp was key to this coming out well. Stuff got in the way so it sat in fermenter for about 6 weeks before chilling. It will chill in keg a bit longer before bottling.

Barleywine. Lonnngggg brew day for me. Nearly 6 hours! :eek:
I had a fight with breaking up the dough balls on mash in, nearly killed myself lifting the bag and squeezing to hit volume, and had to boil for nearly 1:45 to hit post boil volume. Definitely a beer to brew only once a year. But, I was planning for 1.094 and…

1.096. :)

49A50368-C3DE-4125-BC01-A8ED148E2521.jpeg

I did a throw back today. I brewed the first recipe I ever brewed today. A simple 3 malt porter called London Fog was the kit from Midwest Supply that started it all but I used kviek slurry rather than an english ale yeast. I love those Norwegian Sugar Mushrooms; 2 hours after pitching and I have action in my blow off jar!

I've played around with changing my cream ale over the years and it kind of morphed into a light blonde ale. My son in law brews it that way still.
For the brewery, I went back to a more traditional version with a lower mash temp and noble hops.
I brewed it yesterday and extended the mash time. I ended up with really great efficiency, but maybe a bit bigger that I want for the style.
OG was 1.050.
Target was 1.045.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/c6tGpEL1FTY5ftg76

As mentioned in a few other threads, today I brewed Man Piss Switch, my take on the Q2 Community Brew Mannequin Pees. Once I finally got brewing underway (well past noon), things went better than expected. I got really good conversion in the mash, going 4 points over recipe projection. The boiling wort smelled good, giving a warm, toasty aroma that is new to my brewing. The color is right up my alley, kinda similar to my amber ale. Original gravity looks to be around 1.071, which is 4 points over what the recipe predicted. To get it all going, I pitched a whole liter of starter from White Labs Abbey Yeast (WLP500). There is a little more volume than usual in my Speidel 12 liter, but that just means maybe a couple more bottles.
Cheers.

Got the Ginger Ninger brewed and no chilling in the kegmentor added 40g cascade 170g ginger and 230g Tumeric to the paint strainer bag
20210703_164035.jpg

Man I think my efficiency has increased from grain mill purchase wort came in at 1.050. Expected SG of 1.044.

Just started the boil kettle on the latest version of Blonde on Blonde, this one is a good bit different from the others with 15% red wheat malt and 25% corn grits. Also single hopping with an ounce of. Cluster at 60 and another at 2 minutes.

Think I’m going to call this one “Thirsty Hound” after my dog…

Brewed my Saaz-Genial Blonde today. Did a quick starter with a couple heaping teaspoon of 2month old kveik slurry then used some second running to "feed" what was left over as a little experimental activity.

It was a beautiful day in South Central Pennsyltucky! Here's to blue skies and yellow beer!

20210702_193854.jpg

Brewed my Saaz-Genial Blonde today. Did a quick starter with a couple heaping teaspoon of 2month old kveik slurry then used some second running to "feed" what was left over as a little experimental activity.

It was a beautiful day in South Central Pennsyltucky! Here's to blue skies and yellow beer!

View attachment 16477
That is a beautiful photo!

View attachment 16477
Potential new avatar picture...

Is it made with real bunyip? Or just bunyip extract...:rolleyes:
Well depends on what time of the year you brew.
There are bunyips about lucky I live in bunyip territory near a swampy waterhole so I'm sure there is bunyips bound to be around problem is coax in them Into a pot of boiling wort :p!
Makes for a hairy brew lol...

Welp I had the house to myself way earlier than anticipated. So I decided to brew my Citra IPA today! I couldn't find a good angle for the time lapse video, but I tried to document with pictures

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1167423/short-boil-ipa

FWH addition after the 30 minute steep
20210715_141416.jpg

First bittering addition once it's boiling
20210715_143119.jpg

Turned off the heat to add the LME, now it's starting to look like beer :)
20210715_144257.jpg

5 min hop addition followed by a 20 min hopstand after flameout
20210715_145731.jpg

Pitched Voss kveik at 97F and tucked her in tonight for the ambient low of 75F. I'll check again in an hour to make sure it's not too hot
20210715_162152.jpg

Will add the dry hops when there's a little krausen left. I'm hoping for a fast turn around on this one! OG around 1.050 and predicted IBUs of 60.

Last edited:
Welp I had the house to myself way earlier than anticipated. So I decided to brew my Citra IPA today! I couldn't find a good angle for the time lapse video, but I tried to document with pictures

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1167423/short-boil-ipa

FWH addition after the 30 minute steep
View attachment 16598

First bittering addition once it's boiling
View attachment 16599

Turned off the heat to add the LME, now it's starting to look like beer :)
View attachment 16600

5 min hop addition followed by a 20 min hopstand after flameout
View attachment 16601

Pitched Voss kveik at 97F and tucked her in tonight for the ambient low of 75F. I'll check again in an hour to make sure it's not too hot
View attachment 16602

Will add the dry hops when there's a little krausen left. I'm hoping for a fast turn around on this one! OG around 1.050 and predicted IBUs of 60.
I'm betting on it sunfire especially with Kviek! Looks good to me!

Well depends on what time of the year you brew.
There are bunyips about lucky I live in bunyip territory near a swampy waterhole so I'm sure there is bunyips bound to be around problem is coax in them Into a pot of boiling wort :p!
Makes for a hairy brew lol...

No Squonk sightings here...too many oak trees and too far south!

Back