Thoughts on Sweet Orange Peel in a summer IPL?

Orange Peel?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Add More

• Add Less

• Total voters

naDinMN

Trial Member
Reaction score
To orange or not to orange...

9lbs Pilsner
1lbs Munich
1lbs Vienna

1.5oz Chinook @ 70min
1.0oz Cascade @ 15min
1.0oz Taihke @ 15min
1.0oz Centennial @ 15min

0.5oz Sweet Orange @10min*

1.0oz Cascade - Dip Hop -14 days
1.0oz Taihke - Dip Hop -14 days
1.0oz Centennial - Dip Hop -14 days

L17 Harvest

Pressure lager @ ~12psi for 14 days

*Not enough orange peel?

Never used orange peel but I'm planning to go sweet rather than bitter on my upcoming witbier. I say go for it

Never used orange peel but I'm planning to go sweet rather than bitter on my upcoming witbier. I say go for it

I use a blend of both in my Saison, but I've been using lemon peel in my Wit for a decade and a half. It gives it something to stand out from the crowd.

If you want an insider's hint, use a bit of chamomile in your witbier. I used to work for a Belgian-style brewery and have studied them quite a bit. The chamomile is a well kept secret, but is used in tons of proper Belgian examples and is often what is missing in American versions.

I am not a lager brewer, occasional drinker. Using different yeast, your recipe could make a fine IPA. Fresh zest of sweet orange sounds good.

I use some dried tangerine peel in a Milkshake NEIPA, and like what it brings to the beer. No other experience with fruit, except pure cranberry juice in a chocolate Stout.

So, I went with the sweet orange. 1/2 ounce at 10 minutes. I like the aromatics. Think it was a good choice.

I changed up some other stuff as follows, for those who want to know.....

• The Taihke became Wakatu.
    • I think the lime notes will work well with the orange peel.
    • Kept it at 1.0oz
  • Cascade and Centennial dip hops both changed to Cryo versions of the same.
    • Kept both at 1.0oz
  • Wakatu dip hop was changed to 2.0oz
  • We were sold out of Harvest, so I switched to Global.

Back