Grainfather equipment

Sebrina

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have the grainfather all in one connect 220 v and 2 conical fermenter pro. And a glycol chiller.
Fabulous equipment. I am having fun. One question, my all in one boils to strong at 212 but put it down 1 degree and boiling stops. It over flows and I spend time changing the temp.
I have a jacket on it and took it off during boil. Is there a reason that the boil is so inconsistent? Shouldn't it still boil if I turn it down one degree?

Not really. If the probe says 212 and you set it for 211, it would have to cool 1 degree to come back on.

Personally, a boil kettle should just be on all the time. Set it for 215 and just boil. If you are getting boil overs make sure You have fermcaps on hand

Technically, no.
It is a law of physics. You can break any law that you want, except for the laws of physics.

You can avoid the boil over a number of ways. What you are getting is hot break as it comes to a boil, once you get past the hot break, you will be fine. You can stir at that point, reduce the wattage (not the temperature), and or you can use a defoaming product like fermcap.

Last edited:
Technically, no.
It is a law of physics. You can break any law that you want, except for the laws of physics.

You can avoid the boil over a number of ways. What you are getting is hit break as it comes to a boil, once you get past the hot break, you will be fine. You can stir at that point, reduce the wattage (not the temperature), and or you can use a defoaming product like fermcap.
I probably did not need 220. BUt it is done. I will try other ways as you suggested

220 is not the problem. Google "hot break" to understand why it boils over just as it starts to boil. The hot break lasts 3-5 minutes only, then boil as vigorously as possible, it won't boil over.

220 is not the problem. Google "hot break" to understand why it boils over just as it starts to boil. The hot break lasts 3-5 minutes only, then boil as vigorously as possible, it won't boil over.
And 220 is beneficial. 2x less current than 110 for the same wattage.

Just don't turn your back on it when almost there. I know!
I stir and keep a spray bottle of water to knock it down. It dosen't take much and doesn't last long.

Back