London ale III NEIPA starter necessary?

Brewer #334545

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am going to make a NEIPA with some wyeast 1318, and was wondering if starters are necessary with this strain. OG will be 1070 and hoping to get to the low teens.
Thanks

There is a yeast pitch/starter calculator on this site. There is more to it than a simple yes no. The date of production, number still viable cells, etc. I would suspect for a 1070 wort that you would definitely need to do a starter, or pitch multiple packages of yeast. Here is a link to the calculator.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

I get the calculator but I was looking for someone with previous experience, some strains are a beast and handle being underpitched well others not so much

I've used it half a dozen times, generally on NEIPAs. It isn't one of the beast strains. It'll probably complete the fermentation without a starter, but it really needs a starter to do a decent job. I do half batches and I'd do a starter with the Wyeast and White Labs pitches at 1070 for anything except a sour or Kveik pitch.

I'lljust say yes. It never hurts and if you have the equitpment, why not?

I agree: 1.070 will be happier with a 1 or 2 liter starter. Without one it will still be happy, just not as much.

Back