What are you doing with homebrew today?

First closed transfer with the kegmenter
20210529_093529.jpg
Ben's brown ale. I'm transferring into Shady Boh keg I kicked it last night and well thought it's already been purged and all so ontop it went:p lazy bugger aye!

Was different not being able to see liquid level on the fermentor even tapping didn't give me much of an indication . But couldn't be happier with the end result.
20210529_095919.jpg

Right to the trub line perfect!

Mine's in the fermentor. Made some extensive mods, increased bitterness substantially to get to a higher BU/GU ratio, mashed high then modified the body with Candi syrup.... Made a pretty fine beer, at least so far.

Hopefully I am finishing setting up for the first run on the 65L Brewzilla! I'll try and post some pics soon on all I have been working on over the last few weeks. Certainly need to get a brew session in this weekend regardless of batch size or desired system! lol

Here's the new set-up - Almost ready for it's first brew! I didn't quite realize how much work would go into upgrading to the 65L system. I suppose I could have just ripped right into it once it got here but I starting thinking about how much steam might roll outta this thing (and how much my wife hates the smell of beer brewing) and decided to install a true vent - which was tricky - I set it up so I could pull the hood away from the window, install the vent and push it back in place and then return to normal afterwards. You can see the rear vent on the floor setup to drop into the window and connect to the back of the hood.
I also placed in a pulley system for the heavier grainbill and after much debate about building a taller stand for my sparge pot to rest on, realized I could use the 35L with built in pump as my new sparge heater!
Not sure if you can see it in the pic but the 65L sits on a motorcycle hydraulic jack so I can lift it closer to the hood once boil commences!

Whew - with the brewer I'm probably in the 1200 to 1500 dollar range! More than expected for sure but.... My dad and friends will be happy! - Hopefully my wife too! lol I'll let you know how the range works out! I might try a 5 gallon batch this afternoon with the mother-in-law just to keep it simple for her to enjoy helping :) She is a hoot and loves to "tinker" and putz around! lol

IMG_20210529_055841.jpg

Here's the new set-up - Almost ready for it's first brew! I didn't quite realize how much work would go into upgrading to the 65L system. I suppose I could have just ripped right into it once it got here but I starting thinking about how much steam might roll outta this thing (and how much my wife hates the smell of beer brewing) and decided to install a true vent - which was tricky - I set it up so I could pull the hood away from the window, install the vent and push it back in place and then return to normal afterwards. You can see the rear vent on the floor setup to drop into the window and connect to the back of the hood.
I also placed in a pulley system for the heavier grainbill and after much debate about building a taller stand for my sparge pot to rest on, realized I could use the 35L with built in pump as my new sparge heater!
Not sure if you can see it in the pic but the 65L sits on a motorcycle hydraulic jack so I can lift it closer to the hood once boil commences!

Whew - with the brewer I'm probably in the 1200 to 1500 dollar range! More than expected for sure but.... My dad and friends will be happy! - Hopefully my wife too! lol I'll let you know how the range works out! I might try a 5 gallon batch this afternoon with the mother-in-law just to keep it simple for her to enjoy helping :) She is a hoot and loves to "tinker" and putz around! lol

View attachment 15987
Looks like you've been plenty busy mate.
Cherish your mum in law she sounds like a goer!
Hope the hood works out for you.

Brewing Shady Bohemian! Don't have the exact right malts on hand, but should be able to make it work. Swapping Viking Munich Dark(8.5L) and Cara 200(74L) for Briess Bonlander Munich and CaraMunich...think it will still be beer, the numbers come out about the same. If it works I can take 2 grains off the inventory(probably don't need all for on hand anyway).

Brewing Shady Bohemian! Don't have the exact right malts on hand, but should be able to make it work. Swapping Viking Munich Dark(8.5L) and Cara 200(74L) for Briess Bonlander Munich and CaraMunich...think it will still be beer, the numbers come out about the same. If it works I can take 2 grains off the inventory(probably don't need all for on hand anyway).
Well, looks right, tastes right, had about a quart more in the fermenter than predicted and OG was .001 low. Think I can live with it, time for 497 to get to work and hammer this stuff out.

Packing it all up! This column of stuff is all that remains of my homebrewing empire :D I can't wait to get brewing again after the move, thank goodness VA has some fantastic craft beer to tide me over until then
20210530_174334.jpg

Packing it all up! This column of stuff is all that remains of my homebrewing empire :D I can't wait to get brewing again after the move, thank goodness VA has some fantastic craft beer to tide me over until then
View attachment 16007
Hold in there Sunfire. If you take up the hobby the other side of it watch out brewing world!:D

View attachment 16007
Good luck for a safe drive. The West Coast (the best coast) is down a brewer. Represent us well from the other side.

I put together an IPA recipe based on something I found online, with a few minor substitutions, then went to my new lhbs (Windsor) to get grain, hops and yeast. On the way home, I got 5 gallons of RO .water. Ready for a holiday brew day tomorrow - Memorial Day IPA

Brewed a one gallon batch of Webster Chocolate Malted Milk Stout. With floor malted Pilsner, pale chocolate, roasted barley, black prince, midnight wheat, and roasted cocoa nibs in the mash, with more nibs and some lactose late in the boil. Midnight and prince were late additions in the mash to reduce bitterness. Low IBUs to emphasize sweetness. Will “dry bean” with vanilla in four days or so.

Small test batch boiled off lots more than anticipated, and had to boil three cups of water to add back into the fermenter to hit 1.058, and not 1.076. Amazing how things go astray when not dialed in.

Back