Anyone else benefit from pandemic

Steve Ruch

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
The stimulus payments helped us reduce our credit card dept and come up with the 3% down payment on the house we are buying.

I didn't so much benefit as I wasn't financially impacted at all by it. I manage an international IT department and other than working from home far more than I did before not much changed for me. I feel kind of guilty about it because of how many are suffering one way or another, so I try to do a lot of public support work.

Carnage for me. Three businesses all hospitality related so it's been an interesting journey for sure.

We have a bar/function facility at a golf course and that has been really well supported by government so is still in decent shape and has a good chance going forwards. My bar hire business has been on hold really but the time to do some development work on that side has, I feel, been well used so I got into fitting and maintaining home bars for people which has been very interesting, I've also been able to add on homebrew supplies which is going really quite well now, sourcing supplies and understanding that side has taken some time but will work well going forwards I think.

My real work as a stocktaker has been wiped out, pubs have been closed so peripheral services like mine have been decimated. The support has been subsistence level because I've been fallen through the gaps in the system so a healthy business with some money in the bank now has a bunch of debt.

it's been very different for different folk I think. Financially it's been a car crash for me but the time to develop other stuff has been welcome. Genuine good luck to anyone who has done well out of it, we all need a bit of luck somewhere.

No benefit at all.
Tourism related business, mainly based on backpackers, and nobody is travelling.
No help from government in reduction of license cost or taxes or anything, so I have had to dig deep into my savings.
But, things will get better! They just have to!

I'm in the pest industry.
Now pests and covid arnt related (unless were talking rogue bats;);))
But we expected a big drop in work here especially because it coincided with the winter months initially.
But things went gangbusters maybe people were at home more and spotting bugs crawling about or just thinking about their home in general. So things have been going great for me.
Now one thing that's impacted where I live is a big migration up here from down south since covid. Everyone wants to live in Queensland it seems but this has caused a rental crisis with less than 1% vacancy people are living in their cars trying to find affordable housing.

Anyhow that's enough non brewing talk from me where s that beer...

Oh that's another covid spin off they say people are drinking more:rolleyes:.

Business for me has suffered at times, being commissioned sales has made things a bit tighter financially.
I am in the fluid power business, hydraulics mainly, from designing and building power units, to hose and fittings.
For instance a 2" diameter hydraulic hose good for 6000 PSI, is an expensive hose baby, like getting up near $100CDN per foot!!!
When I have had some rough months, they have "topped up" my commissions which has helped a lot. I have to assume that the company has taken advantage of government payouts to qualifying businesses. Three of my four kids (all adults, either working, or in university), have received benefits from the government when they were unable to work due to closures.
Long and short of it, I haven't benefitted at all really, but haven't been hit too hard either.
Starting to see significant price increases, and longer lead times now.
We are going to be paying for this thing for many years to come:(

@Craigerrr we are seeing the same, I feel like the gouge is in wirh many businesses taking the opportunity to significantly increase prices and you're dead right; we will be paying for it for a long while.

If we want to find an industry to be mad at may I suggest lumber? Cause what the hell?!?!1
Blame all the new woodworking/carpentry hobbyists that had a lot more time on their hands for DIY projects

Blame all the new woodworking/carpentry hobbyists that had a lot more time on their hands for DIY projects

I think it was more that people were remodeling because they were staying and working from home. Sad part is that the growers and loggers are seeing all time low prices.

We are making a killing in unemployment. My wife has a small business which has essentially been closed for a full year. With the Feds adding $300 extra per week, she’s making much more in unemployment than she would’ve made on her own. Your tax dollars at work. Thanks.

We are making a killing in unemployment. My wife has a small business which has essentially been closed for a full year. With the Feds adding $300 extra per week, she’s making much more in unemployment than she would’ve made on her own. Your tax dollars at work. Thanks.
Same here in Aus people on unemployment get more than if they were working well up until recently "job keeper" got canned. It pays to work in the long run.
Anyhow I'd rather work it's good for the self esteem and general well being knowing I'm contributing to society you know playing my part ;);)

...Anyhow I'd rather work it's good for the self esteem and general well being knowing I'm contributing to society you know playing my part ;);)

Same. We are purposeful as humans and unemployment / lack of purpose can be terribly damaging for us psycologically. Our PM made a comment early on about people 'becoming addicted to furlough' and got slaughtered for it so it was only said once but an interesting point.

If we want to find an industry to be mad at may I suggest lumber? Cause what the hell?!?!1

I'm definitely guilty of feeding that particular beast :)

Bar2.JPG

Bar1.JPG

Amazing to hear this from you @Hawkbox . The reason for supply and demand being as such is because the large lumber mills were shut down because of covid . The small mills that can distance and isolate workers are struggling to keep production going so as to keep people working. Don't worry about up in Canada. It will pick up. Your gov will just give the huge mills cheaper timber and they will flood the market again.

Amazing to hear this from you @Hawkbox . The reason for supply and demand being as such is because the large lumber mills were shut down because of covid . The small mills that can distance and isolate workers are struggling to keep production going so as to keep people working. Don't worry about up in Canada. It will pick up. Your gov will just give the huge mills cheaper timber and they will flood the market again.

It was a joke.

Not benefit but think everything online and everything delivered to your home may be the safest wave of the future. It's also extremely efficient. It saves money in the long run. I study online using some educational resources like https://writinguniverse.com/essay-types/ . So nothing actually changed for me except for having less social contacts and more virtual ones.

Back