60 days in the fermenter

bloodysafety

Trial Member
Reaction score
hey so like the title says I got lazy and left my beer in its carboy for 2 months it grew a little mini krausen about a month in and it just settled. I want to bottle soon. think I need to add yeast or just give it an extralong conditioning time?

The beer smells like beer and ill find out how it tastes after i get a SG reading.

Edit: if i do have to add more yeast whats the rule of thumb on that? can i just dump in some "fresher" beer or what?

After 60 days, a couple of grams of yeast for conditioning might not be a bad idea. Likely isn't necessary but you can't be too sure, right....

If the beer tastes a little meaty or like soy sauce, you've had autolysis, the yeast has died and cells have ruptured. If you like that flavor and still want to bottle it, in that case, definitely add a gram or two of conditioning yeast.

thanks for the tips nosy. So the beer is pretty good so far. very well rounded and kinda reminds me of pipe tobacco/toast. I rack my beers so that may have saved my but on autolysis this time. I decided to just toss a teaspoonish of slurry in the ole bottlin' bucket and give it time.

Back