Bottling Conditioning after "lagering"

MrBIP

Premium Member
Reaction score
Not sure of my plan ....
Got a Cream Ale, 2nd iteration, in fridge at 35, will be three weeks on Sunday when I bottle it.
Plan was, based on some reading, to rehydrate a US05 pack in 200ml water, and use 35ml of that "slurry" to bottle, about 2mg dry yeast, along with the corn sugar (5 oz).
But further reading/research says there is probably still enough yeast to carbinate.
Never had a bottle bomb and don't want any now.

Previous batch of this was really good. It sat 2 weeks in the cold closet, which was about 50-55 and it carbed up fine in about 3 weeks with just sugar.

So, if I'm not kegging, plan to add some yeast? Or just do the normal thing and maybe wait a little longer? Ok to add that small amount of yeast to boost it?

MrBIP

I've brewed a couple lagers, and I did not add more yeast before bottling. (I cold stored at 34° for 4 weeks.) It carbonated, some of it quicker than I would've thought.

Thanks, good to know.
The more I read and think about this, I might just go "as-is" and see how it works.
.... and it's plenty warm right now for bottle carbing anyway.

I don't bottle condition, but I think you should have enough yeast. If you do decide to add, a lager yeast would be more alcohol tolerant that US05. Just a thought.

Greetings. I brewed 4 lagers this past winter and did not add any yeast at the time of bottling. I did let the brew sit in the carboys for about 5-6 weeks at 35 degrees (I did transfer beer from 1st fermentation carboy to 2nd carboy for 2nd fermentation). I did move the carboy indoors to a closet for 2-3 days before bottling. The closet was around 65-67 degrees. All the beer came out GREAT!! No problems. Just added the proper sugar and all was good.

Thanks, good info.
Thinking I'll take it out of the fridge Thursday/Friday to let it warm up a bit and bottle as I normally would.

Well that question was answered tonight:
Pulled the "one week" sample and chilled it this afternoon. Poured aggressively into pilsner glass it almost foamed over the top. Head retention was good, lacing was good, but the actual "internal" carbination seemed to fade quick. But.. holy cow, it was super clear at bottling, super clear in a one week sample and it's dang carbinating just fine.

Good to know because after pumpkin beer this weekend, I'm going after my first "real" lager. Based on SN SummerFest (NOT a clone attempt). Just looking for something similar because that beer is fantastic... and no longer available in town, because I cleared out the shelves today.

According to Chris White's "Yeast" book, beer can look perfectly clear to the human eye but can still contain x amount of yeast cells per millilitre where x is the population of Pakistan, or something like that (book is in my brewing area at the moment and I can't be bothered to go get it :lol: ) but as others have posted, I've bottled lagers that are crystal clear then carb up fairly quickly.

Back