NEIPA water Calculation??

well one thing thats not crucial to taste but your bowels your magnesium is pretty high, I would try to lower that as much as possible, looks like you wanting a slightly bitter beer otherwise it looks good

I keep my water pretty simple. I brew with distilled. For NEIPAs I add the following.

1.5 g/gallon calcium chloride (195 ppm)
.50 g/gallon gypsum (74 ppm)

This is my water profile for NEIPA:

Calcium Magnesium Sodium Chloride Sulfate
(Ca ppm) (Mg ppm) (Na ppm) (Cl ppm) (SO4 ppm)
140 13 5 136 59

I would start low on the Chloride to sulfate ratio, as the result might not suit you.

Make sure the mash pH is in the 5-5.5 range and keep it low. Add salts to both mash and sparge water.

Water is important in this style ( as is with all styles ), but the grainbill, yeast choice, fermentation temps and hop schedule are equally important.

Your water profile is not going to ruin a beer. Adjusting water chemistry results in marginal improvements (given that your water tastes good and isn't too hard, say, San Antonio hard). The intense hop flavors of a NEIPA will cover any improvement you can get from water adjustment, again with the "too hard" caveat. If you were brewing a Helles, my answer would change but not for something this hoppy.

As opposed to starting a new thread, I thought I would revive this old one. Looking at brewing a NE IPA for a get together with the gang in August. If I use this bottled water, will I need to make any adjustments? I am still learning the ins and outs of water chemistry, appreciate the input.
Ca 76, Mg 28, Na 2, SO4 5, Cl 5, HCO3 285, NO3 2

Attachments

• Ice River Water Profile.JPG
    Ice River Water Profile.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 685
Should I start with distilled water and add gypsum and calcium chloride?
I see many variances on grain bills for a NEIPA, should I decide on a grain bill before asking about the water profile?

Should I start with distilled water and add gypsum and calcium chloride?
I see many variances on grain bills for a NEIPA, should I decide on a grain bill before asking about the water profile?

NEIPA grain bills, I prefer a simpler bill, almost all 2-row and oats is the best character I've found... I've even done some White Wheat heavy NEIPAs that were really good.

For water, I always build up from DI, I find it easier. Just a bit of Table Salt and Epsom should round out some character in the malt and harshness, and then I've really been preferring lately a profile of 200:50 or 200:75 on Chloride:Sulfate.

my complete NEIPA profile I use is: Ca:100-130, Mg: 5, Na: 10, Cl: 200, SO4: 50

I keep my water pretty simple. I brew with distilled. For NEIPAs I add the following.

1.5 g/gallon calcium chloride (195 ppm)
.50 g/gallon gypsum (74 ppm)
I'm brewing for the first time with distilled. You don't put anything else in other than this? Does your grain bring the PH down to 5.3?

Also, do you calculate for total water brewed with?

@KillswitcH I use the water calculator via the recipe builder here on brewers friend to decide which 'salts' to add. It kinda depends on the recipe. Most grains will bring the pH down to a good spot. The water calculator shows expected mash pH as well.

I'm brewing for the first time with distilled. You don't put anything else in other than this? Does your grain bring the PH down to 5.3?

Also, do you calculate for total water brewed with?
With light colored beers I pretty much always need some acid. I like to use acidulated malt for this.

Back