Bottle Carbonation with Brown Sugar?

AGbrewer

Premium Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever done it?

Any reason not to?

Have a Belgian Quad/Dubbel that I'm thinking about trying it with. Definitely wouldn't do it with a Pilsner or the like, but darker beers (e.g. Stout, Porter, etc.) might benefit from that flavor.

I've never done it, but you can prime with just about any sugar. I would be surprised if you noticed any flavor contribution though. If you do this, I would recommend bottling a few with regular corn sugar and test it out for yourself.

I'm not sure, but I don't think brown sugar and corn sugar would be a 1:1 swap weight-wise.

I think it would be fine although I don’t think you’ll see much flavor difference given the quantity used for priming.

Most brown sugar sold today is plain white sugar with 3-5% molasses added back in.

However, if you use pure molasses for priming it might add some flavor. You will need about 25% more molasses by weight than table sugar if you choose this method.

Anyone ever done it?

Any reason not to?

Have a Belgian Quad/Dubbel that I'm thinking about trying it with. Definitely wouldn't do it with a Pilsner or the like, but darker beers (e.g. Stout, Porter, etc.) might benefit from that flavor.
Don't see why it wouldn't work. The molasses reduces the fermentable sugar slightly, a rounding error.

I used turbinado sugar today for my dubbel, that's just what we have for coffee, no other special reason.
For brown sugar I would only wonder about the moisture content affecting the weight, but that just popped in my head, probably not a "thing"

I've seen a few recipes that call for brown sugar for priming. Pretty sure Brooklyn brew shop has a couple kits/recipes that do

I used turbinado sugar today for my dubbel, that's just what we have for coffee, no other special reason.
For brown sugar I would only wonder about the moisture content affecting the weight, but that just popped in my head, probably not a "thing"
The "moisture" is molasses. There's not much of it to worry about.

I'm sure a recipie I was reading the other day on Westveletren blue (getting all up on my belgians) had Belgian candi syrup as a bottle carb option so id say go on and go forth my friend!

I've never done it, but you can prime with just about any sugar. I would be surprised if you noticed any flavor contribution though. If you do this, I would recommend bottling a few with regular corn sugar and test it out for yourself.

I'm not sure, but I don't think brown sugar and corn sugar would be a 1:1 swap weight-wise.

I think I'm going to take your suggestion about splitting the batch up the different sugars. That idea sounds like a great little experiment that doesn't really require much on the labor side to make it happen. Don't forget that I'm rather lazy, so anything that requires minimal work is very appealing to me.

Only tweak I'm going to add is to do corn sugar, cane sugar, and dark brown sugar. My guess is that the Corn and Cane will be a wash. Who knows about the dark brown sugar. Part of me thinks that the dark brown sugar will get lost in the massive flavors of the Belgian Dubbel/Quad that I made (especially since I fermented at 85 degrees F at one point). Guess we'll find out in a couple months. I plan on bottling it up on Tuesday or Wednesday this week.

I'll be sure to cross my fingers and my eyes so that it comes out good.

I think I'm going to take your suggestion about splitting the batch up the different sugars. That idea sounds like a great little experiment that doesn't really require much on the labor side to make it happen. Don't forget that I'm rather lazy, so anything that requires minimal work is very appealing to me.

Only tweak I'm going to add is to do corn sugar, cane sugar, and dark brown sugar. My guess is that the Corn and Cane will be a wash. Who knows about the dark brown sugar. Part of me thinks that the dark brown sugar will get lost in the massive flavors of the Belgian Dubbel/Quad that I made (especially since I fermented at 85 degrees F at one point). Guess we'll find out in a couple months. I plan on bottling it up on Tuesday or Wednesday this week.

I'll be sure to cross my fingers and my eyes so that it comes out good.
Good chance to see results of the different sugars. Keep in mind that corn sugar is around 42 ppg, brown sugar 44, and cane sugar 46. That's about a 9.5% difference between cane and corn. Not a lot, but you might want to compensate.

Good chance to see results of the different sugars. Keep in mind that corn sugar is around 42 ppg, brown sugar 44, and cane sugar 46. That's about a 9.5% difference between cane and corn. Not a lot, but you might want to compensate.

I'm glad someone else did the math, cause I probably would have eye balled it!

Back