Out of this World IPA

Cian

Trial Member
Reaction score
I just want a little feedback on this recipe because I'm afraid to brew it in case something goes wrong

Attachments

• Out of this World IPA.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 181
Out of this World IPA
By Cian Black
Method: All Grain Style: English IPA
Boil Time: 60 min Batch Size: 21 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 28.5 liters Efficiency: 70% (brew house)
Boil Gravity: 1.049 (recipe based estimate)
Original Gravity: 1.067
Final Gravity: 1.023
ABV (standard): 5.82%
IBU (tinseth): 48.58
SRM (morey): 11.06

Fermentables
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
5 kg United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale 38 3.75 76.9%
0.7 kg Flaked Barley 32 2.2 10.8%
0.4 kg United Kingdom - Crystal 60L 34 60 6.2%
0.4 kg United Kingdom - Munich 37 6 6.2%

Hops
Amount Variety Time AA IBU Type Use
28.5 g Target Leaf/Whole 11.5 Boil 60 min 36.21
14 g First Gold Leaf/Whole 7.5 Boil 30 min 8.92
14 g Willamette Leaf/Whole 4.5 Boil 15 min 3.45

Mash Guidelines
Amount Description Type Temp Time
10.4 L Infusion 68 C 60 min

Yeast
White Labs - English Ale Yeast WLP002
Attenuation (avg): 66.5% Flocculation: Very High
Optimum Temp: 18.3 - 20 °C Starter: Yes
Fermentation Temp: 19 °C Pitch Rate: 0.35 (M cells / ml / ° P)

I don't see anything particularly wrong with the recipe, depending on what you intended. This will not have a lot of hop character as written - the 14 gram additions of hops at 30 minutes will be mostly bitterness, the 14 grams at 15 minutes will provide some hop flavor but not a lot. If you want a hop-forward beer, add some more hops at 0 minutes (whirlpool) or dry hop. To "smooth" the bitterness consider a first-wort addition. As written, brewed using my processes, you'd come up with something closer to an ESB with this recipe. Of course, American IPAs are much more hop-forward than British versions....

Again, how well a recipe performs depends on how you brew it and what you intended. This will be balanced toward hops but not overly hoppy. Let us know how it turns out!

I agree with Nosybear ,to me this is really a pale ale not an IPA but just say this looking at the the title, it will be a good easy tasting pale ale though, I like these from time to time especially in the summer

Thanks for the feedback, will add some hops for dry hopping instead of whirlpool. Thank you again.

Just a personal preference, I prefer whirlpool hopping over dry hopping - the bit of cooking of the hops by the hot wort gives them a different character. Think of the difference between raw broccoli and lightly steamed broccoli. But I do sometimes dry hop when I want a strong hop nose, which tricks the palate into thinking there are more hops in the beer than there are.

Back