Red/Amber Pale ale critique

It looks like a reasonable recipe. My question is around the hops. If you’re trying to achieve something like a red IPA, then your hop additions are about right. However, if you’re trying to make something closer to an Irish Red Ale, then you’ll probably want to drop the IBU’s to around 25.

Good luck with the batch.

This drives me crazy... WHY DOESN'T ANYONE ADD AMBER MALT TO THEIR AMBERS!!!!!

It looks fine, similar to Northern Brewer's Irish Red.

Edit:

If it were me, I'd add a pinch of the caraaroma, you got. Round out the flavor a bit IMO.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. The recipe started as an XPA and evolved into a red ale.

Just made a slight change, and changed its name to Indian Irish Red.

It looks like a good beer but I'm with @Bubba Wade ...those hops have nothing to do with an Irish Red. You're brewing an American Amber Ale.
Whatever you get from the malt will be taken over by hop flavor and aroma - which I think will be quite good BTW. The combination of Amarillo and Cascade will bridge the gap between the slight resin/pine flavor from the Warrior and the dank tropical of the Mosaic. The Mandarina will get lost and though it's not going to hurt a thing, it isn't really adding much, most likely. :)

Made a couple small changes as I didn't have enough base malt, and brewed it up yesterday. I also cold-steeped the Carafa III amd CaraAroma grains overnight and added late in the boil. Will be interesting how it comes out.

In response to the style of beer, I wasn't aiming specifically for an Irish Red or even an Amber Ale. Initially it was going to be a APA but I then thought I'd up the SRM to make it red. Then the ABV was too low for the style and better matched Irish Red so I changed to that. But then the IBU was too high, so I made a few more changes. Perhaps I would have been better off not specifying a style in the recipe.

According to the thread title, I don't think he's going for an Irish Red...

According to the thread title, I don't think he's going for an Irish Red...
Clicking on the recipe initially, it was listed as an Irish Red Ale...that's why there's so many comments referencing that style. OP has since changed his style designation and changed the recipe.

Clicking on the recipe initially, it was listed as an Irish Red Ale...that's why there's so many comments referencing that style. OP has since changed his style designation and changed the recipe.

True, but I was after recipe critique, not whether it matched a style. As I said, I should have just left the style blank.

Styles might be good for judging and are useful for a base recipe, but are a hindrance to creativity.

True, but I was after recipe critique, not whether it matched a style. As I said, I should have just left the style blank.

Styles might be good for judging and are useful for a base recipe, but are a hindrance to creativity.
Those style guidelines only tell part of the story. If you want to really brew to style you have to read up on the BJCP guidelines. That's where you'll find the detailed descriptions of flavors and reference to ingredients typically used and not just color, IBUs, ABV, etc. :)
When you referenced "Red Ale" in the title and had the recipe set for Irish Red, it made it seem plain that there was an intention in that direction. :)
As I noted in my earlier comments, I think you've got the makings for a very good American Amber, especially that hop schedule. :)

Perhaps I would have been better off not specifying a style in the recipe.
Yup!
I sometimes get hung up on that too... Maybe Brewer'sFriend should make a profile just called "BEER" - lol

Let us know how it turns out - and post a pic! I'm interested in how the cold steep affects the beer.

Edit:

If it were me, I'd add a pinch of the caraaroma, you got. Round out the flavor a bit IMO.
Lol. I made a maud’lin moose amber ale and used Briess Sparkling Amber DME
I also made my Irish rogue red and used the same, briess sparkling amber DME
Hoping they both turn out awesome. They are my own recipes lol

Yup!
I sometimes get hung up on that too... Maybe Brewer'sFriend should make a profile just called "BEER" - lol

Let us know how it turns out - and post a pic! I'm interested in how the cold steep affects the beer.
Kegged this beer today and took a sample for testing. Very nice hop flavour and aroma without being in your face. The colour is a bit darker than I was aiming for, but still pretty good. Very little of the malt character made it through, but I'll definitely give cold steeping another go. Will particularly like to try it my Porter recipe and do a side by side.
20210516_145833.jpg

Kegged this beer today and took a sample for testing. Very nice hop flavour and aroma without being in your face. The colour is a bit darker than I was aiming for, but still pretty good. Very little of the malt character made it through, but I'll definitely give cold steeping another go. Will particularly like to try it my Porter recipe and do a side by side.View attachment 15780
My beers always end up a bit darker than BF predicts.

Very nice looking beer! Good to hear that non of the dark malt character came through!

Edit:

Because he's making a red ale and amber ales are a different thing but people are loose with the definitions. In a red ale you want crystal malt. Amber is more for milds so you dial down the hops quite a lot more.

Back